none
windows could not start Service on local computer. error 5 Access Is Denied windows server 2008 r2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Consultants,

We are using the windows server 2008 r2.

Before the holiday, the services were working normally.

We were shutdown the server and start it again after holiday, then many services couldn't start, it show the error:

"Windows could not start the <service name> service on local computer. Error 5: Access Is Denied"

We tried grant the folder security of the services files: Everyone full , and tried to run the services by the administrator domain but not success.

Please help me fix that issue!

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Hien Nguyen

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 7:39 AM

All replies

• I like to start troubleshooting with the system event log. Also try from a Safe Mode or clean boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

I would not have made more changes at this point since you're likely complicating / masking the original issue.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 1:53 PM
  • Thanks Dave,

I return any change to origin and follow your directions, restart the Windows 2008 in Clean boot.

After that, i tried to start the services again, but not success.

I have checked the Event log - System: it show the error: "The <service name> service failed to start due to the following error: Access denied." , Event ID: 7000 , source: Service control manager

Could you please help me more suggestions?

Best Regards,

Hien

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:54 AM
  • Hi Hien Nguyen,

Please check the Event Viewer (specifically the 'Windows Logs > Application'), any other error message?

In general, access denied problem is related to permission problem.

According to your description, even domain admin member still get the denied problem, right?

Please also temporarily disable AV software and UAC configuration to do a check.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 7:21 AM
  • What services? What account do they start with?

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 12:44 PM
  • What services? What account do they start with?

Dear Sir,

There are many service about DB2 and SAP, one of there name is "DB2SSM-0" , the account start is "local system"

Friday, April 13, 2018 3:41 AM
  • Dear Sir,

There are many service about DB2 and SAP, one of there name is "DB2SSM-0" , the account start is "local system"

These ones sound like some various third party applications. I'd work with the vendors to debug / troubleshoot the application startup.

Friday, April 13, 2018 3:44 AM
  • Hi Hien Nguyen,

Please check the Event Viewer (specifically the 'Windows Logs > Application'), any other error message?

In general, access denied problem is related to permission problem.

According to your description, even domain admin member still get the denied problem, right?

Please also temporarily disable AV software and UAC configuration to do a check.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, 

I have checked the Event viewer('Windows Logs > Application')  , i see the some error: 

Error 1:

- Source: WMI

- Event ID: 10

- Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Error 2: 

- Source : Application error

- Event ID: 1000

- Faulting application name: wmiprvse.exe, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce79d42
    Faulting module name: DB2Perf.DLL, version: 9.7.500.702, time stamp: 0x4f22e8e1
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000635b
    Faulting process id: 0x3a4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3a0889a18033b
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
    Faulting module path: F:\db2\db2ssm\DB2_SO~1\BIN\DB2Perf.DLL
    Report Id: d84346e9-0c7b-11e8-b0ed-005056817020

Error 3:

- Source: Windows error Reporting 

- Event ID: 1001

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Windows Error Reporting
    Date:          2/8/2018 9:57:41 AM
    Event ID:      1001
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      
    Description:
    Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: wmiprvse.exe
    P2: 6.1.7601.17514
    P3: 4ce79d42
    P4: DB2Perf.DLL
    P5: 9.7.500.702
    P6: 4f22e8e1
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 000000000000635b
    P9: 
    P10: 

Attached files:
    C:\Windows\Temp\WER6895.tmp.appcompat.txt
    C:\Windows\Temp\WER6CEA.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
    C:\Windows\Temp\WER6CFA.tmp.hdmp
    C:\Windows\Temp\WER748A.tmp.mdmp

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_wmiprvse.exe_3202282cf83d0e73c5584e6b2416e787542bdb5_cab_717d763c

Friday, April 13, 2018 3:56 AM
  • Hi jerryhien,

You could also check the KB about event 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2545227/event-id-10-is-logged-in-the-application-log-after-you-install-service

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 13, 2018 6:14 AM
  • Hi jerryhien,

You could also check the KB about event 10

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, 

Thanks for your help!

The Event 10 is done after the script run. But the services are cann't start.

Best Regards,

Hien

Friday, April 13, 2018 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

>But the services are cann't start.

Still same error?

I'm afraid if it's the 3rd party service, maybe could also contact the application vendor for more suggestion.

Best Regards,

Mary

Friday, April 13, 2018 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

>But the services are cann't start.

Still same error?

I'm afraid if it's the 3rd party service, maybe could also contact the application vendor for more suggestion.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact 

yes, the services are still cannot start, still same error.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Hien

Friday, April 13, 2018 10:01 AM
  • Hi Hien,

I'm afraid you may need to contact the application vendor for more suggestion.

Or  for  dedicated Support  might need to contact  Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS).

It is also appreciated that the other members in our forum can share their experience with us about this scenario.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/worldwide.aspx

Appreciate your support and understanding.

Best Regards,

Mary

Monday, April 16, 2018 1:22 AM
  • Hi Hien,

I'm afraid you may need to contact the application vendor for more suggestion.

Or  for  dedicated Support  might need to contact  Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS).

It is also appreciated that the other members in our forum can share their experience with us about this scenario.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

Appreciate your support and understanding.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Hi Mary,

I was contact the Application Vender support, but he said:

"The attached file shows the following errors that all point to permission problem on OS level:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Error 5:Access is denied

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

This is not database problem but some thing wrong on the operating system, may be the relevant users lost their privilege or access right to the services, you need check this with your operating system administrator for possible reasons and solutions to fix this kind problem."

I will try your suggestion link, thank you!

Best Regards,

Hien Nguyen

Monday, April 16, 2018 2:03 AM
  • Dear Hein,

Could you please inform me if you have found out the resolution for this issue.

I am also getting the same issue in one of my Windows server 2008 R2 and continuously chasing different teams to get this done but no luck.

Your immediate reply will be very much helpful.

Regards

Prabhat 

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 3:35 PM
  • Hi Hein,

Could you please provide some information on this.

I am still facing the same issue. 

Regards

Prabhat

Friday, June 21, 2019 11:40 AM
  • Dear Hein,

Could you please inform me, how you have resolved this issue for your servers.

i am unable to find the root cause of the issue and getting no results from 3rd party vendor nor from other teams. could you please help me with your resolution process.

regards

Prabhat

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:29 PM