none
Set conversation window size for Lync 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• The Lync 2010 client remembers the dimensions of the IM conversation window, but Lync 2013 doesn't. Is there a registry value or something that can be set to tell Lync 2013 to always open the IM conversation window to particular dimensions?

Blog / Facebook / Twitter

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 8:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Try HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync - IMGCNoExtensionTabbedFrameWidth and IMMediumExtensionTabbedFrameWidth

• Proposed as answer by Praveen Chinayya K Wednesday, October 9, 2013 9:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Monday, October 21, 2013 12:28 PM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 12:56 AM
  • Hello,

Lync 2013 client also remember the IM conversation window size.

default size is standard size.

However you can try following registry key to change IM window size.

HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync

IMGCNoExtensionTabbedFrameWidth
    IMLargeExtensionTabbedFrameWidth

IMMediumExtensionTabbedFrameWidth

MinimizeWindowToNotificationArea

Thank you,

Regards

Balu Ilag [MVP-Lync]

Regards Balu Ilag MCSA, MCITP

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 4:25 AM
  • Hi,

You can use Group Policy to establish the registry key setting in users’ computer registries before they sign in and begin receiving in-band provisioning settings from the server.

More details:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425941.aspx

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 11:40 AM
  • Has this actually worked for anyone? I've tried adding those registry values in the proper location (
    IMGCNoExtensionTabbedFrameWidth was the only one that already existed), and giving them various values, exited completely out of lync and signed back in, and there is never any difference from that default chat window size. 

I can't even begin to express how frustrating this is. The default chat window size is so tiny, and the functionality that has been in previous version including Communicator to remember the last window size is such a simple thing, I'm shocked it was removed. 

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:40 PM
  • The default chat window size is really irritating; I should not change its size everytime I close the window with whoever I am chatting with.

I tried the registration keys above but no reflect happened. Pls share with us if you reached another solution.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:57 AM
  • I find the default setting HEX 1ae (430) also rather annoying because all messages typed and receive require two lines instead of one.

I have tried changing the recommended registry value

• Exited Lync
    • Changed the IMGCNoExtensionTabbedFrameWidth to HEX 258 (600)
    • Restarted Lync

Result: The first chat that I initiate is indeed in the new size. The next chat window that I open is again the default size HEX 1ae (430). When I look at the registry value, It's back to the default size.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:03 AM
  • This has not worked for me.  Please help!  Kent-Huang, why did you mark this as answer, if it has not been working.

Software Engineer

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:31 AM
  • I agree, this is super annoying. Lync 2010 saved sizes just fine, but 2013 reset any time you close the conversation window. It doesn't even save it within the same Lync client session. How can this be raised to MS as an issue? You shouldn't have to mess with the registry for something like this, which doesn't even appear to work anyway.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:00 AM
  • This does not work.
    • Proposed as answer by ajobbins Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:33 AM
    Friday, June 6, 2014 2:17 PM
  • Did this ever get fixed?  I just got upgrade to 2013 at work and it's really annoying.  Why can't it just remember window positions like EVERY other app?
    Friday, September 26, 2014 2:08 PM
  • I too would like to see a fix for this. I would also like to see a view option to hide some of the features in the main Lync window and the chat window that are never used.

Anyone else able to find out how to resize the chat windows? The text window is very very annoying.There is no reason for it to be this big.

I would like it to stay like this.....

Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:36 PM
  • "Lync 2013 client also remember the IM conversation window size."

It is not true, why this marked as answer??

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:37 PM
  • Lync 2013 client DOES NOT  remember the IM conversation window size.

Lync 2013 client DOES NOT support drag-and-drop from Outlook

Lync 2013 client have a big heavy contact windows  we can't reduce

Lync 2010 was doing all of these, Lync 2013 is a big sh*t !

• Proposed as answer by Morderen Wednesday, January 7, 2015 10:15 AM
    Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:14 PM
  • So Microsoft!

Do you need the user to fill a form in order to fix an obvious BUG ?

Isn't it that your fate is doomed then ?

ashish

Thursday, April 30, 2015 9:37 AM
  • This is not true, Lync is not remembering the window size by default, this should not be marked as answer. I also tried all the RegEdit suggested fixes and none of them work. Please fix this.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 7:29 PM