none
Same old/Same old!!! DISM Error 0x800f081f "The source files could not be found" RRS feed

• Question

• 1.  I've spent the past 6 hours reading about this "universal" problem and did make some progress - BUT

2.  First suggestion: Most all answers say to use: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:M:\install.wim:1 (limitaccess); however the install.wim file is likely to be in the "sources" directory - thus DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:M:\sources\install.wim:1 is required  (Instead of M, use your drive)

3. Once I used the above DISM command, it ran to 100% complete, BUT still gave the same %@*&!! error!!!

QUESTIONS

1.  The latest Win10 update (I forget the #) will not load for me, thus I've had to use the 1809 Build 17763.678 iso - I cannot get this iso from MS, only from heidoc.net which is 1809 Build 17763.1 (I'm sure of the 17763 part, don't know if the .1 or .678 makes a difference???  Does it???)

2.  Is there a way I can get an older iso from MS?? And might this help???

3. Any other suggestions would be welcome - I'm at wits end!!

TIA Doug

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Doug,

For your Questions:

1. You can get Windows 10 1809 iso from Visual Studio Subscription download, but it’s need to pay. You could get iso from VLSC but it needs license.

2. The Microsoft website https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 only supplies 1903 iso.

3. heidoc.net is a third-party website, Build 17763.1 is not different with 17763.678 when you used it for repairing system image.

4. your command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:M:\sources\install.wim:1 is correct, my iso is in D partition, I always use Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:D:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Finally, refer to this article to repair image.

DISM fails in Windows 10. The source files could not be found

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/dism-fails-source-files-could-not-be-found

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 2:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Doug,

For your Questions:

1. You can get Windows 10 1809 iso from Visual Studio Subscription download, but it’s need to pay. You could get iso from VLSC but it needs license.

2. The Microsoft website https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 only supplies 1903 iso.

3. heidoc.net is a third-party website, Build 17763.1 is not different with 17763.678 when you used it for repairing system image.

4. your command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:M:\sources\install.wim:1 is correct, my iso is in D partition, I always use Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:D:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Finally, refer to this article to repair image.

DISM fails in Windows 10. The source files could not be found

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/dism-fails-source-files-could-not-be-found

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 2:18 AM
  • Teemo, Thank you for your prompt reply!

I was hoping that there was some difference between the 17763.1 and 678 builds and that would explain the reason DISM fails - Oh well??? (PS - I kind of anticipated your answer - but I've tried everything else!)

I've been trying to get a stable system since last October.  I believe my components are first rate - built it myself (not my first build).  Water cooled, otherwise I'm not trying to push the envelope (no overclocking)

I can't count the # of times I've done clean windows installs, repairs, reloading sys image files, etc, etc.  The system will run fine for 4 to 25 days, then it goes to hell.

This DISM work is to get a very clean system so I can make a new System image. (my existing one is getting a bit old.  My biggest loss on the C drive is my PyCharm project setup.

I'm 77 - getting a bit old for this!

Gotta get to bed now - will take a look a your reference tomorrow-(although it sounds familiar - one of my trusted sources)

Thanks again,  Doug

Thursday, August 22, 2019 2:43 AM