none
How to make the Lync Client forget me?

Question

• Hello,

I have one Windows 7 client computer shared by two Lync users.

User1@sip.com logs in to communicator, gives his domain username and password, and logs out.
    User2@sip.com logs in to communicator, gives his domain username and password, and logs out.

Now when User1 wants to log in again he will NOT have to provide his domain username and password, but rather the client "remebers" this infomation to allow him a quicker login. Now this is good if you really are User1 and not someone else trying to impersonate him, but as User1 if I want to prevent others from signing in with my "cached" credentials...

How can I make the Lync client "forget" this login information?

/mk

Monday, February 14, 2011 11:20 AM

Answers

• You have to remove the user certificate AND change the below regkey:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Communicator
    SavePassword

Change the SavePassword key from 1 to 0. This will prevent both known methods for logging in (credentials and certificate) which results in a prompt for the user.

Thanks,

Jazzy

Friday, February 25, 2011 12:36 AM

All replies

• Hi

Are this two users sharing one user profile? This should work, when you create a seperate user profile for each user.

Cheers

Monday, February 14, 2011 12:05 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, I am using one domain user to login to the desktop / domain itself, but then I want two other domain / Lync users to login and out of the Lync client.

/mk

Monday, February 14, 2011 12:13 PM
  • when you already have two domain users, why do you use another domain account for this two users instead of loggin in with the two existing user accounts directly?

Cheers

Monday, February 14, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Because I want to :-)

No, let me give you a better example on when I would like to change this behaviour:

If I need to temporarliy borrow my friends desktop and login to Lync, then I do not want his computer to cache and store my credentials. So when logging off (or in the settings) I would like to have a "forget me" button. Much like the one you will find in the public MSN messenger. Example here:

http://beconfused.s3.amazonaws.com/media/2007/05/Windows-Live-Messenger-sign-in-window.jpg

Now, I suspect that there is no such button in Lync, but if there are files or registry settings I could delete to acheive this I would like to know about it.

Monday, February 14, 2011 1:21 PM
  • Dear Kressmark,

Refer to your problem I would like provide you one solution :

You can configure don’t save password by below command.

SavePassword Enables Lync to store passwords.

More information please check : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398998.aspx

Best Regards!

Rowen

• Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:27 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kressmark Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:33 AM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:33 AM
  • Yes, I understand that. but after the fact, when I did login with the setting to store my password, I would like to clear it - is it possible?
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Have you tried going into Options on the Lync client, selecting the personal section, and then entering the SIP URI of the other user in ths sign-in address field?
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:34 PM
  • You have to remove the user certificate AND change the below regkey:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Communicator
    SavePassword

Change the SavePassword key from 1 to 0. This will prevent both known methods for logging in (credentials and certificate) which results in a prompt for the user.

Thanks,

Jazzy

Friday, February 25, 2011 12:36 AM
  • Yes, it works! Thanks!
    Friday, February 25, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Jazzy, will this reg change be persistent - i.e. disable the ability of the user to save their password - or is it just a one-time thing to clear the existing hashed credentials?

Saturday, December 10, 2011 12:22 AM