none
Word 2016 setup to use foreign languages RRS feed

• Question

• I will need to edit some Word letters that are written in the following languages:
    English, Spanish, Karen, Arabic, Nepali, and Burmese. All the letters will have
    will contain about 10% to 20% of English.
    Thus can you tell me what I need to do to my Word 2016 application on my desktop to
    be able to edit the letters in those languages?

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 4:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Wendy,

What detailed version of Word 2016 are you using? Does it come from a volume licensed version of Office 2016 based on Windows Installer (MSI  installation technology)? To find out whether your installation is MSI or Click-to-Run, in Word, go to File > Account. If you see an Office Updates Options section, the installation is Click-to-Run. If there is no Office Updates section, then it is a MSI installation.

You need to add these languages in your system language settings. 

In addition, you need to install language packs to add additional display, help, and proofing tools to Office. 

For Click-to-Run version of Office 2016, you can download the language accessory packs for your desired languages from this page.

For volume licensed version of Office 2016(MSI), you can contact your administrator and download an ISO image of the language packs, language interface packs, and proofing tools from the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).

To check language settings of Word, please go File > Options > Language.

Hope the information was helpful. Anything unclear, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 3:19 AM
  • I must MSI installation. Here is a picture of where I think languages can be added. Would you let me know if this is the correct location:

Thursday, May 23, 2019 3:50 PM
  • Hi Wendy,

Yes, you can change language settings and add languages there. However, you need to install some Windows Language Packs firstly. In addition, installing Office language packs and proofing tools is necessary and they are available in the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC)

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Friday, May 24, 2019 9:49 AM