none
Lync Server 2010: Cannot Enable Disabled User Account RRS feed

  • Question

  • Basic info:  We have two domains in our forest.  Domain1 hosts all Exchange mailboxes and Lync accounts for the entire forest.  To that, in Domain1 we create disabled user accounts and contacts for each of the Domain2 users.

    Today, I began to attempt to enable Lync services for a few Domain2 accounts.  When we enable these accoutns for Lync, we use the email address to create the SIP.  I can search the user account fine, but when I try to enable it, I receive the follow error; "Filter failed to return unique result. SIP:useraccount@domain.com".  I started taking a deeper look at these accounts and found a SIP address already exists in the msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress attribute for each of these accounts (which were not previously enabled for OCS or Lync, fresh install).  My intuition tells me that these accounts shouldn't already have SIP addresses in this attribute, which is why this continues to fail.  However, since I'm still very green in the Lync world, I'm unsure that clearing this attribute is the right choice.

    So, two things:

    1) Am I correct to assume there shouldn't already be a SIP address and to remove it?

    2) If not, how do I resolve the issue to get these accounts enabled.

    Thanks!

    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:39 PM

Answers

  • The msRTCSIP-* attributes don't even exist unless the schema has been extended for LCS, OCS, or Lync so the fact that they are already populated indicates that one of those products was previously deployed.

    That being said, if you are sure none of those products are deployed then you could clear that attribute without causing any negative impacts.  However, there are other msRTCSIP-* attributes that will likely have values (HomeServer and PrimaryHomeServer come to mind) which may still introduce problems either when you enable the user or at some point down the road.  I'd also guess that there are some orphaned server objects hanging out.

    On a side note, I'm curious why you are using both enabled and disabled user accounts in the same forest.  This is typically done in a resource forest model where the enabled user accounts are in a user forest and Lync/Exchange reside in a separate forest with disabled user accounts and are accessed with msRTCSIP-OriginatorSid and msExchMasterAccountSid, respectively).


    Mike Stacy | http://mikestacy.typepad.com

    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:18 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi,DriveFree,

    Agree with Mike,the msRTCSIP-* attributes  were created when you prepare AD schema for Lync,so there should be some old verison(LCS or OCS) or legacy Lync deployed in your domain2.

    Check http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425250(v=office.13).aspx and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398944.aspx for the details in AD preparation.

    So back to your question:

    1)Yes,there shouldn't be sip address in msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress before you enable the user for Lync

    2)You should clear those attributes maybe not only msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress but take caution when you remove them with ADSIEdit in RTC service container,it's better to backup AD database before you doing this.

    Regards,

    Sharon


    Sharon Shen

    TechNet Community Support

    ************************************************************************************************************************

    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

    Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:03 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • The msRTCSIP-* attributes don't even exist unless the schema has been extended for LCS, OCS, or Lync so the fact that they are already populated indicates that one of those products was previously deployed.

    That being said, if you are sure none of those products are deployed then you could clear that attribute without causing any negative impacts.  However, there are other msRTCSIP-* attributes that will likely have values (HomeServer and PrimaryHomeServer come to mind) which may still introduce problems either when you enable the user or at some point down the road.  I'd also guess that there are some orphaned server objects hanging out.

    On a side note, I'm curious why you are using both enabled and disabled user accounts in the same forest.  This is typically done in a resource forest model where the enabled user accounts are in a user forest and Lync/Exchange reside in a separate forest with disabled user accounts and are accessed with msRTCSIP-OriginatorSid and msExchMasterAccountSid, respectively).


    Mike Stacy | http://mikestacy.typepad.com

    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:18 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi,DriveFree,

    Agree with Mike,the msRTCSIP-* attributes  were created when you prepare AD schema for Lync,so there should be some old verison(LCS or OCS) or legacy Lync deployed in your domain2.

    Check http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425250(v=office.13).aspx and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398944.aspx for the details in AD preparation.

    So back to your question:

    1)Yes,there shouldn't be sip address in msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress before you enable the user for Lync

    2)You should clear those attributes maybe not only msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress but take caution when you remove them with ADSIEdit in RTC service container,it's better to backup AD database before you doing this.

    Regards,

    Sharon


    Sharon Shen

    TechNet Community Support

    ************************************************************************************************************************

    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

    Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:03 AM
    Moderator