none
How to Send Text as a Link?

Question

• Hi friends,

How can I send text as a link in the chat window? For example <a href="ocfile:02cac9dc-1339-4107-b29d-27e8bbbda1af">a custom url</a> which show up as hypherlink text "a custom url" when the recipient got it.

I actually have registered a protocol handler on the system like ocfile:02cac9dc-1339-4107-b29d-27e8bbbda1af, but I found communicator cannot recognize ocfile as a protocol in the system. So I'm thinking about a workaround that can force send text as a link.

I know that I may compose it in an external HTML editor and copy it from a browser, but is there a way to manually write up a html/rich text based message in the chat window directly?

Thanks.

EaTing Shan
    Friday, October 22, 2010 1:18 AM

Answers

• The IM session does not support sending any code like HTML or embedded RTF, so the content will only come over as raw text.
    Jeff Schertz, Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Proposed as answer by Fathy Refay Friday, October 22, 2010 10:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by EaTing Shan Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:14 PM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 11:57 AM

All replies

• The IM session does not support sending any code like HTML or embedded RTF, so the content will only come over as raw text.
    Jeff Schertz, Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Proposed as answer by Fathy Refay Friday, October 22, 2010 10:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by EaTing Shan Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:14 PM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 11:57 AM
  • Hi Shan,

I used this reg key:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Communicator]
    "EnableURL"=dword:00000001

On a machine without this reg there is alway a underscore before a link when it is send through IM.

best regards
    Hari

Monday, October 25, 2010 7:59 AM
  • This reg key simply handles HTML links like HTTP and does not address HTML code in general (e.g. 'a href' tags).
    Monday, October 25, 2010 10:24 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the answer, that's my biggest worry actually.

However, from Communicator team blog, there is a statement that in Communicator 2007 R2, rich text is supported. http://communicatorteam.com/archive/2009/03/04/598.aspx

But unluckily there is no answer yet for whether the rich text can be sent programatically or synthesize a rich text based on plain text.

Thanks.

EaTing Shan
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:17 PM
  • Having checked with others, is your question specific to the ocfile prefex/reference? That is not a supported reference in the client.

I may not fully understand this but I think there may be an issue of what Rich Text means or allows. Certainly when you copy content from another application like Word or Excel the formatting stays however there is no way to insert that formating as text itself and have it then displayed in that format.

As a comparison, in the Group Chat client with R2 you can paste unicode characters in the text input but with the Lync Group Chat you will now be able to type them.

I reviewed the blog post comments and many people wanted the ability to force plain text or an option to remove formatting per paste, can you share the business justification on why you need the functionality you are asking for?

Tom Laciano Microsoft Program Manager UC Customer and Partner Deployment Readiness
    Monday, November 01, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Hi Tom,

We need this because there are a few registered protocol handlers in our firm environment. We want in a chat context, our protocols can be recognized as a link so that user can click and launch specific handler.

Thanks.

EaTing Shan
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:16 AM
  • EaTing Shan,

This is not supported today, you would need to submit a Design Change Request for the additional behavior. That process is done via premier contracts with Account Managers, if you do not have one you can send me an email - toml at microsoft dot com   and we can correspond to get the right details. It is very important that you understand that this is a process to put in a REQUEST that will be CONSIDERED and many times that is for a future product.

Tom Laciano Microsoft Program Manager UC Customer and Partner Deployment Readiness
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 1:15 PM
  • Thank you Tom, we'll consider submitting a request.
    EaTing Shan
    Friday, November 19, 2010 1:26 AM