none
Skype For Business: DNS round robin & HLB RRS feed

• Question

• I know that DNS round Robin has some limitations. But in case of SfB I think it doesn't influence because client cache all records.

My question is about using DNS Round Robin in Public DNS to find the Edge services records...

Any limitation using it ?? Any think that I should keep in mind ?

Friday, September 20, 2019 5:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Skype for Business Edge Servers can be configured as a pool of servers in the topology, and they can be load-balanced through DNS load balancing or a hardware load balancer.

Please refer to this official article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/plan-your-deployment/network-requirements/load-balancing

You can deploy DNS load balancing on Edge Server pools. If you do, you must be aware of some considerations.

Using DNS load balancing on your Edge Servers causes a loss of failover ability in the following scenarios:

• Federation with organizations that are running versions of Skype for Business Server released prior to Lync Server 2010.
    • Instant message exchange with users of public instant messaging (IM) services AOL and Yahoo!, in addition to XMPP-based providers and servers, such as Google Talk, currently the only supported XMPP partner.

These scenarios will work as long as all Edge Servers in the pool are up and running, but if one Edge Server is unavailable, any requests for these scenarios that are sent to it will fail, instead of routing to another Edge Server.

If you are using Exchange UM, you must use a minimum of Exchange 2013 to get support for Skype for Business Server DNS load balancing on Edge. If you use an earlier version of Exchange, your remote users will not have failover capabilities for these Exchange UM scenarios:

• Playing their Enterprise voicemail on their phone
    • Transferring calls from an Exchange UM Auto Attendant

All other Exchange UM scenarios will work properly.

The internal Edge interface and external Edge interface must use the same type of load balancing. You cannot use DNS load balancing on one interface and hardware load balancing on the other.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 23, 2019 2:34 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have any further issue on this topic?

Meanwhile, if there is no issue, please remember to mark helpful reply as answer to close the thread. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 27, 2019 10:46 AM