none
Outlook 2019 Crashes With We're Sorry But Outlook Has Run Into An Error That Is Preventing It From Working Correctly

Question

• One of our office users is encountering the error, "we're sorry but outlook has run into an error that is preventing it from working Correctly" when trying to use Outlook.  This is an Office 365 installed product.

I have tried everything I can think of including: the repair now button from the error message, launching outlook in safe mode, checking compatibility settings, full office online repair, creating a new profile; but nothing seems to make a difference.  This message pops up randomly throughout the day multiple times so its definitely annoying to the user.

Any help or ideas on how to resolve would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, May 20, 2019 12:54 PM

Answers

• It does seem to be totally random.  All of the mentioned actions - switching folders, composing a message, reading a message, etc can cause it.

I did uninstall office again the other day and installed the 32 bit version instead of the default 64 bit version and I haven't heard of any issues since.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>the repair now button from the error message, launching outlook in safe mode

Does this issue continue if we keep using Outlook in safe mode? 

What version of Microsoft Outlook are you currently using? Please make sure you have installed all available updates and then test it again.

Besides, you may have a look at the following article and see whether the scenario described in it applies to your situation:

Error when opening Microsoft Office apps

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:15 AM
  • Yes, the issue continues even in SafeMode.

It is for Outlook version 2019.  All available Windows and Office Updates have been installed.

I saw the linked article the other day and checked my version of Windows Defender.  From what I can tell my version of the protection engine is way ahead of that in the article.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 3:04 AM
  • Any trigger for this issue to happen? Did you notice the error upon launching Outlook?

If possible, please also try to logon the user to another computer to see whether the issue continues.

Besides, I noticed that you checked the compatibility settings for the user, did he ever make any change to the Outlook compatibility settings? If you are using Windows 10, it's not needed and not supported to change the Outlook compatibility settings. It may cause some unexpected issues in Outlook.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 24, 2019 8:44 AM
  • No apparent trigger other than Outlook being opened.  Sometimes it happens shortly after launch other times it may be 30 minutes or so in between occurrences.

User never made any changes to outlook compatibility settings.  They really aren't even a selection option on version 2016/2019 from what I can tell on the app icon.

Friday, May 24, 2019 2:58 PM
  • Thank you for the updated info. How about testing on another machine? This could help determine whether the issue is with the user account or the specific computer.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 9:39 AM
  • Any update here? Please don't hesitate to post back if you have any further query on this issue.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Monday, June 3, 2019 1:41 AM
  • Haven't been able to add the account to another machine as I only have remote access to this one machine and all their other machines are used.  The randomness of this issue though also wouldn't be immediately noticeable on another machine unless its being used.  I watched the system the other day for almost 12 hours while he was out of the office and it didn't present the message once.  However, once he actively used the machine it did seem to present the message more often though it is still random.

At one point he mentioned getting a new PC but I hate to use that as a solution.

Monday, June 3, 2019 2:52 AM
  • >>I watched the system the other day for almost 12 hours while he was out of the office and it didn't present the message once.  However, once he actively used the machine it did seem to present the message more often though it is still random.

Did the user notice when this happened? Maybe switching a folder? Sending a message? Or totally random?

How about testing with another Windows user account on the same machine?

Besides, I'd recommend you try running the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant for Office 365 and see whether it helps.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Thursday, June 6, 2019 8:45 AM
  • It does seem to be totally random.  All of the mentioned actions - switching folders, composing a message, reading a message, etc can cause it.

I did uninstall office again the other day and installed the 32 bit version instead of the default 64 bit version and I haven't heard of any issues since.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 2:20 PM
  • Great! Thank you for keeping us posted.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Friday, June 7, 2019 1:44 AM