none
Intergrate PSTN with Office 365 skype for business online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

I have on-premises Skype for business 2013 and planning to migrate users to office 365 . after move all users to office 365, do we still need to keep Skype for business server ( e.g Mediation Servers ) on-premises to integrate PSTN with office 365.  we have our VOIP gateway with Cloud Connector to connect office 365. 

my questions is without having any other on-premises Skype for business servers ( like mediation ),  If we have VOIP gateway with Cloud connector ( from Gateway vendor ),  can we intergrate our PSTN with office 365 .

Thanks

Indunil

Thursday, February 14, 2019 5:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Indunil,

Based on your description, you have on-premise Skype for Business infrastructure in your environment, and you want to integrate your on-premise PSTN component with O365 phone system. 

To integrate on-premise PSTN component with O365 phone system, there’re two methods to do that:
    1. Cloud Connector Edition: We use this method if we do not have on-premises Lync or Skype for Business infrastructure.
    2. Skype for Business server: We use on-premises Lync or Skype for Business infrastructure if it is already integrated with PSTN services.

In your environment, as you have Skype for Business infrastructure, so you could do this directly and do not need Cloud Connector Edition, if you choose this way, you need to keep Skype for Business Servers. About how to do this, you could refer to the following blog: Configuring Phone System (Cloud PBX) and On-Premises PSTN Connectivity for Skype for Business Online

However, if you do not want to keep Skype for Business Server, you could use Cloud Connector Edition to do this, about how to configure this you could refer to the document: Cloud Connector Edition - Hybrid Voice Guide - Version 2.0

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Indunil Thursday, February 14, 2019 11:38 AM
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 7:52 AM
  • Hi Indunil,

Cloud Connector is not supported on VMware environment, it is only supported on the Microsoft Hyper-V virtualized platform. 

In your environment, as you have SFB infrastructure, so you could keep it and do not need to use CCE, just configure the integration between on-premise and online as the steps provided in the blog I provided in my last reply, then assign license to users. It is the best way to choose in your environment. To do this, you must keep the following SFB servers: FE server, Edge Server, Mediation Server. Details about this you could refer to the official document: Plan Phone System in Office 365 with on-premises PSTN connectivity in Skype for Business Server

However, if you want to use CCE in your environment, it is also supported. To do this, you need to remove the SFB on-premise servers at first, as Cloud Connector can’t co-exist with Lync/SFB on-premise servers, then you could configure it as the steps I provided in the document I provided in my last reply. 

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Indunil,

Based on your description, you have on-premise Skype for Business infrastructure in your environment, and you want to integrate your on-premise PSTN component with O365 phone system. 

To integrate on-premise PSTN component with O365 phone system, there’re two methods to do that:
    1. Cloud Connector Edition: We use this method if we do not have on-premises Lync or Skype for Business infrastructure.
    2. Skype for Business server: We use on-premises Lync or Skype for Business infrastructure if it is already integrated with PSTN services.

In your environment, as you have Skype for Business infrastructure, so you could do this directly and do not need Cloud Connector Edition, if you choose this way, you need to keep Skype for Business Servers. About how to do this, you could refer to the following blog: Configuring Phone System (Cloud PBX) and On-Premises PSTN Connectivity for Skype for Business Online

However, if you do not want to keep Skype for Business Server, you could use Cloud Connector Edition to do this, about how to configure this you could refer to the document: Cloud Connector Edition - Hybrid Voice Guide - Version 2.0

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

• Marked as answer by Indunil Thursday, February 14, 2019 11:38 AM
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 7:52 AM
  • Hi Evan

thank you for you reply.  as I found, this CCE is not supported on VMware environment  . In this case, we can not use CCE ??? and we should use 2 option ???

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/skype-for-business-hybrid-solutions/plan-your-phone-system-cloud-pbx-solution/plan-skype-for-business-cloud-connector-edition

in addition, If we go with second option,  what are the servers we can decommission ( e.g. front end servers ) and minimum severs server we should keep ( assume all users will be moved to office 365 ),  Do we need to keep medication/ EDGE servers as it is or, new one server in DMZ will be enough ( Medication with EDGE roles - similar to CCE )

If seems VOIP Gateway has CCE component and in this case, CCE is on SBC and no need to worry about hyper-visor for CCE

https://support.sonus.net/display/UXDOC80/Configuring+the+SBC+Edge+for+Two+CCEs#ConfiguringtheSBCEdgeforTwoCCEs-Prerequisites

Thank you

• Edited by Indunil Thursday, February 14, 2019 9:04 AM VOIP
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:38 AM
  • Hi Indunil,

Cloud Connector is not supported on VMware environment, it is only supported on the Microsoft Hyper-V virtualized platform. 

In your environment, as you have SFB infrastructure, so you could keep it and do not need to use CCE, just configure the integration between on-premise and online as the steps provided in the blog I provided in my last reply, then assign license to users. It is the best way to choose in your environment. To do this, you must keep the following SFB servers: FE server, Edge Server, Mediation Server. Details about this you could refer to the official document: Plan Phone System in Office 365 with on-premises PSTN connectivity in Skype for Business Server

However, if you want to use CCE in your environment, it is also supported. To do this, you need to remove the SFB on-premise servers at first, as Cloud Connector can’t co-exist with Lync/SFB on-premise servers, then you could configure it as the steps I provided in the document I provided in my last reply. 

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Thursday, February 14, 2019 9:01 AM
  • Thank you .
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 11:37 AM