User Profile Service failed the sign-in RRS feed

• Question

• Since the Creator 1703 update, we've encountered two new issues with several computers for one of our clients. One is that users cannot log in to a computer they have not logged into before due to the following error: 

The User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded.

This includes existing domain accounts which have never logged onto the affected computers, brand new domain accounts created for testing, and brand new local accounts created for testing. 

I looked at this: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947215/you-receive-a-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-error-message

"Method 1" doesn't apply as these are new user accounts that don't have user account profiles yet. I have confirmed it is not getting the point of creating a user profile folder, creating a user profile in Control Panel User Profiles, nor adding their SID to the ProfileList registry key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.

"Method 2" doesn't apply for the same reasons as Method 1.

"Method 3" doesn't apply for the same reasons as Method 1 and 2.

We've run DISM with the Restorehealth switch & sfc which found no issues. This is only occurring on systems which are upgraded the 1703 Creator's build and these machines do not give the option to roll back to an earlier build or uninstall the 1703 KB4022405. We have removed and re-added these machines to the domain to rule out unreported trust or permissions errors. 

Event viewer shows:
    Event IDs 1500 Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, and that your network is functioning correctly. 

DETAIL - Access is denied

Event ID 6004 The winlogon notification subscriber <Profiles> failed a critical notification event.

Event ID 6001 The winlogon notification subscriber <Sens> failed a notification event.

Does anyone have any insight on what's happening here? 

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 10:21 PM

All replies

• You can create installation media and go for a repair install.Be sure that you select to "Keep everything" during the process though. 

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 11:21 PM
  • There's no less invasive answer? This client is across the country and doing this would require someone onsite. We're trying to avoid that because they have no technically inclined onsite contacts. 
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:38 PM
  • Since you have tried repair user profiles and re-join domain, what I can think of is reset network to check result.

Go to Settings->Network & Internet->Network reset, click Reset now and reboot computer to check result.

If still no help, you may need to delete whole user profile folder, reset domain account information on DC, login system again.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 23, 2017 9:06 AM
  • That's crazy. For starters, THERE IS NO USER PROFILE FOLDER. It's not even generating a GUID in the userprofiles registry setting. the problem doesn't lay in AD, because these users can log into their usual computers without any issues. This is a problem specifically with the Creator update that MS has broken.
    Tuesday, June 27, 2017 2:59 PM
  • I had a similar issue and solved it by doing the following:

1. On a system that is experiencing the problem, navigate to the Default folder found at "C:\Users\Default". Rename it to "Default.old" or something similar to back it up. The Default folder will be hidden so ensure you click on the View tab and check the Hidden items checkbox.

2. Copy the 'C:\Users\Default' folder from another PC with Windows 10 installed that will allow users who have not logged in before to log in.

3. Replace the folder on the PC experiencing the problem and then try to login.

You should now be able to login with accounts that have not previously logged in.

Hope that helps.

Friday, July 21, 2017 7:23 PM
  • I had a similar issue and solved it by doing the following:

1. On a system that is experiencing the problem, navigate to the Default folder found at "C:\Users\Default". Rename it to "Default.old" or something similar to back it up. The Default folder will be hidden so ensure you click on the View tab and check the Hidden items checkbox.

2. Copy the 'C:\Users\Default' folder from another PC with Windows 10 installed that will allow users who have not logged in before to log in.

3. Replace the folder on the PC experiencing the problem and then try to login.

You should now be able to login with accounts that have not previously logged in.

Hope that helps.

That would work, but there may be a simpler way...
    I had similar issues several years ago, on Win7, after deploying an IE11 upgrade to those systems.
    The IE setup.exe, causes a file to be dropped into the DefaultUser profile and permissions on that file were incorrect, causing a new-user-profile to be unable to copy that specific file from DefaultUser into the NewUser profile, aborting the UserProfile threads, denying logon.
    A similar issue was introduced by a VisualStudio installer (not a VS runtime, but the full VS product).
    The VS team fixed their installer, the IE team didn't fix theirs.

So, if you check for files sitting within the DefaultUser profile and ensure that permissions/inheritance is set so that a NewUser can read/copy all the files, fix any perms that are denying that, if this is your problem, that should solve it.

This blog post, is the result of the support case I logged with the IE team (in case it helps you)

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/asiatech/2014/01/29/new-user-gets-event-1509-after-deploying-ie91011-through-sccm/

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Edited by DonPick Saturday, July 22, 2017 7:23 AM
    Saturday, July 22, 2017 7:22 AM
  • Work for me ! Thks
    Friday, September 28, 2018 9:09 AM