Any advice for Lync 2013 Mobile Client, strange experiences with persistent logon & push or not push! RRS feed

• Question

• This week we have upgraded our FE and Edge to CU1 for our 2013 deployment.  

Previously we had supported Mobility through 2010 clients which have no issue in remaining "inactive - mobile" when not in use.   IMs push happily to 2010 clients and even now since installing CU1. 

I have an issue with our 2013 mobile clients.  I understand that the mobility for 2013 uses the UCWA rather than the MCX, which 2010 clients use.  Maybe something is wrong with the UCWA itself, hopefully you can advise:

If I logon using the client on Windows Phone all functionality is perfect when the app is running.   If I close the App the following happens:

• Almost immediately the presence for mobile user changes to "inactive - mobile 5mins".
    • This timer increases, 10 mins, 15mins....  
    • Throughout this period I can initiate voice and video to the mobile client.
    • Sometimes however the first call fails, even though a notification badge number applies on the live tile to suggest the call is missed.   Subsequent attempts usually get through if the first fails in this time period ONLY.
    • Around 20 minutes, not always exactly the same period, the mobile user is marked as Offline. 
    • If you send an IM to this user, the status immediately changes to "inactive - 25/30/40/1Hr whatever applicable".  This first IM gets through, subsequent ones DO NOT unless the mobile user opens the app.

Testing Federation and Push from powershell is fine on the FE.   Both success with no latency.  Windows Phone still uses the Push solution yet I have nothing wrong here. 

Nothing obvious is wrong on the Reverse Proxy and remember - 2010 clients work perfectly as normal.  So does all other applications like Desktop or Metro. 

If I logon using the client on iOS all functionality is perfect when the app is running.   If I come out of the App the following happens (leaving App in suspend):

• Immediately the mobile user is shown as "inactive - 5 mins".    This timer continues to grow as per normal. 
    • IMs and calls initiate fine out to the mobile.

If we close the App on iOS itself - not suspended - then the following happens:

• User is shown as "inactive - mobile" as normal BUT nothing pushes out to the client, no notification and no badge.  
    • When user opens App the instant messages are delivered. 

If I reboot our servers, iOS clients automatically sign back in.  iOS App itself seems much more resillient to the issues I am facing.  I have having a much worse experience with the Windows Phone 8 app.

Please rule this out:

In the FrontEnd Event log I am now seeing EWS Autodiscovery errors ONLY for users of the new 2013 Mobility (iOS or Windows Phone, both are affected).  It's the Storage Service and telling me that 401 Unauthorized when connecting to the autodiscover URI.   

These EWS events only started for users on the new 2013 mobile clients.

Thanks, 

Ash Cox

Friday, March 15, 2013 3:58 PM

All replies

• That is strange, please have you mobile client enable and post your log file.

What is the error about the storage service?  The storage service is related with Exchange Server 2013.

Can you try this with a pure Lync user, not enabled for Exchange.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 18, 2013 8:28 AM
  • Tested standard users and admins, both with Exchange and without. The experience is the same.

We are not using Ex2013, still on 2010. 

If I replicate the issue and try to save the logs they fail on first attempt to save.  Subsequent logs save ok but they are all 5kb and just contain the data for the jpeg itself rather than the logging.  Have a look at this screenshot, happens every time I try to save after replicating the issue:

http://sdrv.ms/15Vt4uu :- This is on Windows Phone 8.  I'll try iOS later today if I can find an iphone to test with. 

Really stuck on this one.  All test connectivity tests are a-ok!

How does Lync 2013 client on the mobiles keep presence updated?  Is there a heartbeat signal between client and server?   A cookie age?   Is there anything logical to investigate on outside of the client log, which is not working either. 

Ash Cox

• Edited by AshCox Monday, March 18, 2013 10:49 AM Added screenshot url
    Monday, March 18, 2013 10:42 AM
  • Did this issue happen after you upgraded to CU1?

If so, try to uninstall CU1.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 18, 2013 11:13 AM
  • I have logs from the Edge and FE.   Both are suggesting PUSH is getting out to the PNS, but the errors returned state either:

SIP/2.0 Bad Request.

ms-diagnostics-public: 30001;Reason="Push notification could not be delivered to the PNS"

And other times:

SIP/2.0 OK.

ms-diagnostics-public: 30002;Reason="The Push notification queue for this application is full"

So is this an external issue, ie: something at the client end or with the Microsoft PUSH servers?

Ash Cox

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:38 PM
  • A customer (that we didn't install) has reported a similar issue with the user showing Offline instead of Away, and I have reproduced it (on Windows Phone 8) on my demo network. I'll check iPhone later today. Have you made any progress on this?

I may be able to test uninstalling CU1. [Or not -- CU1 is required for Lync 2013 mobile client.]

• Edited by Rick Eveleigh Monday, June 17, 2013 1:24 PM CU1 not possible
    Monday, June 17, 2013 10:33 AM
  • Hi Rick.

Microsoft Support reference is  113032010302363

Originally we had the issue at a higher level, affecting the ability to PUSH all requests out.   We "solved" this via adding more CPU to our Front End.  BUT, since the issue affecting the presence and difference in experience between iOS and Windows Phone still exist, as you too have seen.  

Regards,

Ash

Ash Cox

Monday, June 17, 2013 10:42 AM
  • Lisa, this is the Lync 2013 mobile client which can only run if CU1 is installed! So removing CU1 is not an option. Do you have any other suggestions? Can you test this behaviour on a reference system please? We are so far 2 failures in 2 systems.

Thanks

Rick

Monday, June 17, 2013 1:23 PM
  • Can I just say that I have this EXACT same symptoms/problems

It's driving me wild! I have started to think that maybe my configuration of the RP is not correct. (its in a half assed dmz)

I get these errors in the WP8 client logs 

2013-08-13 19:30:16.017 Lync[3400:2240] ERROR UTILITIES CHttpConnection.cpp/1019:Request failed with the WININET errorCode (UcwaAutoDiscoveryRequest): -2146697191
    2013-08-13 19:30:16.017 Lync[3400:2304] INFO TRANSPORT CHttpRequestProcessor.cpp/173:Received response of request(UcwaAutoDiscoveryRequest) with status = 0x22020001
    2013-08-13 19:30:16.017 Lync[3400:2304] INFO TRANSPORT CHttpRequestProcessor.cpp/201:Request UcwaAutoDiscoveryRequest resulted in E_ConnectionError (E2-2-1). The retry counter is: 0
    2013-08-13 19:30:16.018 Lync[3400:2304] INFO TRANSPORT CCredentialManager.cpp/176:getSpecificCredential for serviceId(4) returning: credType (1) signInName () domain () username () password.empty() (1) certificate.isValid() (0) privateKey.empty() (1) compatibleServiceIds(4)
    2013-08-13 19:30:16.019 Lync[3400:2304] INFO TRANSPORT TransportUtilityFunctions.cpp/638:<SentRequest>
    GET https://lyncdiscover.wghs.school.nz/?sipuri=sip:leith.magon@wghs.school.nz
    Request Id: 02E44A18
    HttpHeader:Accept application/vnd.microsoft.rtc.autodiscover+xml;v=1

</SentRequest>

2013-08-13 19:30:16.019 Lync[3400:2304] INFO UTILITIES CHttpConnection.cpp/277:Empty body set?
    2013-08-13 19:30:16.204 Lync[3400:3984] ERROR UTILITIES CHttpConnection.cpp/1019:Request failed with the WININET errorCode (UcwaAutoDiscoveryRequest): -2146697191
    2013-08-13 19:30:16.205 Lync[3400:2304] INFO TRANSPORT CHttpRequestProcessor.cpp/173:Received response of request(UcwaAutoDiscoveryRequest) with status = 0x22020001
    2013-08-13 19:30:16.205 Lync[3400:2304] INFO TRANSPORT CHttpRequestProcessor.cpp/201:Request UcwaAutoDiscoveryRequest resulted in E_ConnectionError (E2-2-1). The retry counter is: 1

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:18 AM
  • You will find this on all Windows Phone Lync 2013 clients as MS have acknowledged it is a bug which they are investigating.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:29 AM
  • Hi there,

thanks for the reply.

Is there a bug list / official statement regarding this?

cheers

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:12 AM
  • Doubt it. I raised a support call and they reproduced the issue on my system, their system and also Lync Online, and have passed it to the product team.
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:26 AM
  • Great.

Do you ever get an issue where the WP8 lync 2013 client gets stuck signing in and you have to forcefully close it to sign in successfully ?

This seems to coincide with the inactive/offline thing I am seeing but only occurs after several hours of inactivity 

Cannot reproduce issue on Android phone

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:20 PM
  • Hi there,

exact same issue over here. We are on Lync Online after the upgrade.

Users on WP8 or iPhone using Lync 2013 mobile are shown as offline after some time, although they are not. Messages send to them result in "Message may not be delivered due to Server timeout" but usually be delivered!

Users using Lync 2010 mobile on WP7.x stay as inactive. When will a fix be available?

Friday, September 13, 2013 7:40 AM
  • All the Lync 2013 Mobility clients suffer some form of inconsistent experience relating to the persistent sign in, push messaging etc. 

We raised this within the first week of the apps being released (way back in March 2013 now) but we are still waiting on a confirmed ETA for patch to fix these bugs.  As Rich confirms above, it's known by MSoft and with the Lync product design team to sort out. 

It's a great shame, we have no use for the product whilst it's in a state where users cannot trust it to work correctly. 

Ash Cox

Friday, September 13, 2013 8:49 AM
  • Hi All,

we have exact same issue here. 

We have just installed October cumulative update and presence issue is still present, push notification seems to work now. 

Can anybody please check Microsoft Support reference 113032010302363 and find out what is the state now ? 

Thanks for reply.

Monday, November 4, 2013 9:57 AM