none
Install-CsDatabase wrongly report free disk space RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Since I am trying to install the rollup KB3061064, the package fails and the deployment wizard is failing too with : "Error: Command execution failed: Install-CsDatabase was unable to find suitable drives for storing the database files. This is often due to insufficient disk space; typically you should have at least 32 GB of free space before attempting to create databases."

But all my drives containing a database are ok. They have more than 32 Go of free space each.

When I use:

Install-CsDatabase -localdatabases -DatabasePaths "D:\SQLData"

Everything is ok.

But when server.msp uses:

Install-CsDatabase -Update -DatabaseType Registrar -Verbose

Its crashing with: ERROR 1603: Server.msp had errors installing.

In LCSSetup_Commands.log:

Install-CsDatabase : Command execution failed: Install-CsDatabase was unable

to find suitable drives for storing the database files. This is often due to

insufficient disk space; typically you should have at least 32 GB of free

space before attempting to create databases. However, there are other possible

reasons why this command could have failed. For more information, see

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=511023

How can I install the patches without extending my C: drive?

Monday, October 17, 2016 1:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Nicolas,

Do you have at least 32Gb of free disk on the drive where Skype for Business server is installed as well ? i think this is your c drive ?

Is it not possible to extend the c drive or free up some space? as this space must be available to continue im afraid.

Thanks,

Martin

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". Thank you. This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.

Monday, October 17, 2016 2:04 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Martin. We have NO database on the C: drive. All Local databases are on D:. I even moved system databases from C: to D: and changed default database path on SQL server to ensure we will never install a database on C:.
    Monday, October 17, 2016 2:13 PM
  • Hi Nicolas,

What server role are you applying the update to ? A SfB front end server ?

There are also local sql databases on all Skype for Business servers using SQL Express. Also is skype for business software deployed on the c drive ?

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". Thank you. This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.

Monday, October 17, 2016 3:30 PM
  • Hello Nicolas, When you say you are attempting the CU update , you will be downloading and installing the package which shows the installation is completed etc. To complete which part are you running the deployment wizard ? are you completing the step2 again for those servers ?

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 7:28 AM
  • Hi Martin,

I have moved all local Skype databases on the 3 instances. RTCLocal, RTC and LyncLocal. I did it too with the System Databases Master, Model, MSdb and temp.

And yes, Skype for Business software is installed on C:.

All roles except Edge role are hosted on this server. Enterprise Voice is enabled.

Regards,

Nicolas

• Edited by Nicolas Vinot Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:13 PM Forgot answering to 1 question
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 11:57 AM
  • Hi Akampa,

I am using "Windows Update". And the package is in failure state. The fact is I have successfully installed Skype on the same server and I got no warning about disk space. C: 25 Go D:80 Go. Other SQL databases for Skype are running on a remote SQL Server.

Executing: Install-CsDatabase -localdatabases -DatabasePaths "D:\SQLData" is part of the running topology so I can do it several time, the script do not change the configuration. And this command is successful.

The problems appear when I ommit -DatabasePaths or when the installer server.msp (Deployment  Wizard either) is executing Install-CsDatabase.

Regards,

Nicolas

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:11 PM
  • Well, it seems a fact, "Install-CsDatabase" wrongly report free disk space
    • Marked as answer by Nicolas Vinot Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:31 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:31 AM