none
How to choose which Video feed to display RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way of selecting which video feed to display in a Lync Online Meeting?  I understand that it automatically switches to the active speaker but can you overide this?  Also, Are you able to show multiple video feeds at once? So I can see all the people in the meeting with video on.

JJ
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:30 AM

Answers

• For background the reason this is not possible as the Lync AVMCU is only able to transcode a single outbound video stream to send to each participant.  Thus all parties receive that single video stream (of the active speaker), while active speaker themselves will continue to see the previous speaker (you never see your own video sent back from the MCU).

As mentioned a third-party hardware solution (e.g. Polycom RMX) has the processing power to both transcode multiple video streams and as well as single unique streams to each participant, showing up to 16 attendees at one time in Continuous Presence.

Jeff Schertz, Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:01 PM
  •  

No sorry, the system works on last/active speaker.

There is no way to choose or do "bradey bunch" style multiple pictures.

For multiple video feeds/choice you need to look to a 3rd party VC gateway, e.g. polycom or radvision. However they come at a substantial cost.

Hope that helps

Tom

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks
    Tom Arbuthnot, Consultant Modality Systems
    Blog: Lync'd Up Blog Subscribe: RSS
    Twitter @tomarbuthnot
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:27 AM

All replies

•  

No sorry, the system works on last/active speaker.

There is no way to choose or do "bradey bunch" style multiple pictures.

For multiple video feeds/choice you need to look to a 3rd party VC gateway, e.g. polycom or radvision. However they come at a substantial cost.

Hope that helps

Tom

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks
    Tom Arbuthnot, Consultant Modality Systems
    Blog: Lync'd Up Blog Subscribe: RSS
    Twitter @tomarbuthnot
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:27 AM
  • Hi, JJ,

I agree with Tom.

When there are multiple participants in a video call or a conference, the active speaker is displayed in the video window. And if video is used, only two endpoints send a video stream at a time (the active speaker and the previous active speaker).

Moreover, please refer to this post and Jeff’s blog.

Above all, hope useful.

Please remember to click “Mark As Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark As Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:54 AM
  • For background the reason this is not possible as the Lync AVMCU is only able to transcode a single outbound video stream to send to each participant.  Thus all parties receive that single video stream (of the active speaker), while active speaker themselves will continue to see the previous speaker (you never see your own video sent back from the MCU).

As mentioned a third-party hardware solution (e.g. Polycom RMX) has the processing power to both transcode multiple video streams and as well as single unique streams to each participant, showing up to 16 attendees at one time in Continuous Presence.

Jeff Schertz, Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Hi, JJ,

Any update?

Please remember to click “Mark As Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark As Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 4:08 AM
  • Hello, Jeff!

Is it possible for Lync clients to stop sending video streams towards the MCU in the multipoint Lync scenario, in order to save link bandwidth? For example, we have 10 participants, active and previous speakers are sending their video streams, others are waiting until they start speaking.

Friday, July 15, 2011 10:11 AM
  • Yes, each Lync user can manually stop sending their video stream by seleting the 'Pause My Video" option on their client during the call.  They will still receive the video steam from the active speaker, as long as that person has their's started :)
    Jeff Schertz, Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP
    Friday, July 15, 2011 11:48 AM
  • Is there a way of selecting which video feed to display in a Lync Online Meeting?  I understand that it automatically switches to the active speaker but can you overide this?  Also, Are you able to show multiple video feeds at once? So I can see all the people in the meeting with video on.

JJ
    Thumbnails of all participants would be perfect (our smug Mac guy has reported that Office Communicator for Mac has achieved this without addtional hardware/software) and i must admit i have seen this working. :'(
    Friday, May 11, 2012 2:07 PM