none
Cannot run Step 1 of Deployment wizard on Lync 2010 Edge server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am installing a standard edition (SE) deployment of Lync 2010. My configuration is as follows:

1. Lync SE Frontend (FE) server

2. Director

3. Edge

4. Reverse proxy (not yet configured)

Lync IM is working fine intenally. My problem is that I have exported my published topology from the FE server to a file so I can install it on the Edge server. The edge server is not part of the domain nor is it in the DMZ. It is in its own workgroup with a DNS suffix configured for the domain. It has two NIS's one in the DMZ and one in the domain that the Lync FE server is on.

When I run the Deployment wizard on the Edge server so I can import the topology that I exported I cant run step 1 in the wizard (Install local configuration store). The 'run' option is greyed out. So I cannot import my topology into the Edge server.

Can anyone tell me why this is and what I am doing wrong...

I'd appreciate any advice...

Grove08
    • Edited by Ex10_New Friday, December 9, 2011 4:04 PM
    Friday, December 9, 2011 4:04 PM

Answers

• Ok so I removed the lync edge role and components from the edge server and that seems to have done the trick. I gave the server a hop then re-ran lync setup and step one in the deployment wizard was available again. So I was able to import my topology from the .zip file. So everything seems to be working ok now.....

Grove08
    • Marked as answer by Ex10_New Monday, December 12, 2011 1:02 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 1:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

follow below Edge deployment wizzard and make sure that all the prerequisits are there with the server before run the deployment wizzard.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=11379

Thamara. MCTS, MCITP Ent Admin, Specialized in U.C Voice OCS 2007 R2
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Hi,

Had you get the pre-requisite done up yet before running the installation for Access Edge. You can use this link as a reference in http://msunified.net/2010/11/23/installing-lync-server-2010-prerequisites-on-windows-server-2008-r2/

Hope this helps.

James Ooi MCTS - Lync Server 2010/Office Communications Server 2007 R2 - Blog:http://JamesOSW.Wordpress.com Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 8:22 AM
  • Hi, 

I used this edge deployment guide 

http://ocsguy.com/2010/11/21/deploying-an-edge-server-with-lync/

*Just make sure that your haven't Imported the Lync Topology before if you have done try to use Lync Management Shell  then type

Import-CsConfiguration -FileName "C:\ConfigFromExportCSConfiguration.zip"
    and then go to next step Setup and Remove Lync Server Components*

hope can help,

Best Regards,

raka.satria

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new - Albert Einstein

Saturday, December 10, 2011 8:48 AM
  • Hi,

It seems the installation wizard did not find edge role in the edge server. So please check the the edge server name and IP address of internal NIC and external NIC are as same as you publish in the topology builder.

Do not forget Configure the DNS Suffix for Edge Servers: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398488.aspx.

If still can not work, I think you have to reinstall the edge server OS and reinstall lync edge again.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, December 12, 2011 8:53 AM
  • I have followed all the pre-requisites for setting up the edge server role. I have created a DNS suffix for the Edge and have an entry in internal DNS for the edge server. I can ping the Edge from the domain and the edge can ping the DC's and also Lync FE and Director servers. The server name and IP's for the Edge are the same as what is in the published topology.

However the install local configuration store option on the Edge delpoyment wizard is still showing as being complete and the run option is still greyed out.

raka I tried running the command (Import-CsConfiguration -FileName "C:\lync.zip") on the edge but got the following error:

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Import-CsConfiguration -FileName "C:\lync.zip"
    Import-CsConfiguration : Cannot find information about the local domain.
    At line:1 char:23
    + Import-CsConfiguration <<<<  -FileName "C:\lync.zip"
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Import-CsConfiguration], Cann
       otGetDomainInfoException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Rtc.Management.ADConnect.CannotGetDoma
       inInfoException,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Xds.ImportConfigurationCmdlet

I am thinking I might uninstall the Lync edge software and re-install it but Im not sure if the will resolve my issue...

Grove08

• Edited by Ex10_New Monday, December 12, 2011 12:01 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 11:56 AM
  • Ok so I removed the lync edge role and components from the edge server and that seems to have done the trick. I gave the server a hop then re-ran lync setup and step one in the deployment wizard was available again. So I was able to import my topology from the .zip file. So everything seems to be working ok now.....

Grove08
    • Marked as answer by Ex10_New Monday, December 12, 2011 1:02 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 1:02 PM