none
Common Area Phone Device without DHCP RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a Lync Phone Edition device that can be manually configured for use as a common area phone without a DHCP server to serve DHCP options and sub-options?

I have a remote site that needs a common area phone, but they don't have a DHCP server that will support the sub-options required for a common area phone.

Assistance is appreciated.

BD

Monday, March 18, 2013 8:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I didn't find any Lync phone edition can sign in Lync server with static IP address, not using DHCP.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/gg278172.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sean Xiao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by BD_Slide Friday, March 22, 2013 12:51 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 2:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

the DHCP server has to be there to provide an IP to the phone and you need NTP and Time server options in DHCP scope and server options. it's not mandatory to have option 120 deployed in DHCP server. you can plug in the phone in to a PC and then sign in. it'll download and cache the profile in to the phone. next time it'll sign in without the PC. but you still need the Time server and NTP options.

Z-Hire -- Automate Lync User Account creation process ( AD / Exchange / Lync )

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:36 AM
  • Hi,

The DHCP is required for Lync Phone Edition. Please deploy the DHCP on the site and configure it for Lync Phone Edition.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sean Xiao

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:10 AM
  • I am fully aware of and completely understand the purpose of the DHCP server in the Lync environment. In this scenario (remote site with VPN and no servers using Lync over the Internet), however, there is not a DHCP server that can handle the DHCP sub-options (the security appliance that handles DHCP requests at this site only does Options, not sub-options), the Lync FE server is on a separate subnet so therefore cannot provide the sub-options, and the device as a common area phone must sign in with an extension and PIN, not with a computer or a SIP address.

This site just has a need for a simple common area phone in their conference room.  I shouldn't need to deploy a server for a single common area phone.

My question is:  Does anyone know if there is a device (from any manufacturer) that can be manually configured with this static information and doesn't require DHCP?  I would think that surely there is a phone that can be manually and static configured.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:02 PM
  • Hi,

I didn't find any Lync phone edition can sign in Lync server with static IP address, not using DHCP.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/gg278172.aspx

Sean Xiao

• Marked as answer by BD_Slide Friday, March 22, 2013 12:51 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 2:10 AM
  • Thank you very much for your time, research, and assistance.  I appreciate the answer, although it is not the answer I was hoping for.

*tongue in cheek comment - Cisco phones can be manually configured :P

Overall, Lync is an outstanding product.

Friday, March 22, 2013 12:51 PM
  • This is not possible.  Although technically there is no reasons you cannot manually define the DHCP 43/120 sub options in the DHCP scope servicing the external network (e.g. I configure the settings on my home LAN DHCP server/appliance) it will not work externally. 

The DHCP 43/120 options which provide Lync Phone Edition the ability to support PIN Authentication (which is a requirement for Common Area Phone accounts to authenticate via TLS-DSK) is only supported for internal networks which can contact the internal web services on a Lync Front End server internally.

It is possible to internally provision a Common Area Phone and then take the phone off-site, but if the user signs out or the client certificate expires (or is revoked by the server) then the device will not be able to connect again without bringing it back inside the network, thus is it not a supported use-case.

Also all Lync Phone Edition devices are 100% identical in terms of their functionality at the software level, so any device (e.g. Polycom CX500 or CX600) can act as a Common Area Phone simply buy using a CAP account to sign in via PIN Auth.  The only difference is that the devices marketed as Common Area Phones (e.g. CX500) do not contain a USB port which would be needed to allow NTLM authentication, which works from any location (inside or outside).

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:24 PM
  • To answer your second question, yes there Lync Qualified devices (like the Polycom VVX desktop phones or Soundstation IP conference phones) which work natively with Lync and can be provisioned either from a central server or signed-in directly from the handset using full AD credentials (SIP URI, Domain\username, password).  These are supported fully for Edge server registration and would be ideal for external sites with VPN nor specialized DHCP requirements.

Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:27 PM
  • To answer your second question, yes there Lync Qualified devices (like the Polycom VVX desktop phones or Soundstation IP conference phones) which work natively with Lync and can be provisioned either from a central server or signed-in directly from the handset using full AD credentials (SIP URI, Domain\username, password).  These are supported fully for Edge server registration and would be ideal for external sites with VPN nor specialized DHCP requirements.

Hi Jeff,

Can you tell me how the VVX phones can sign in remotely via the Edge server?  Would they need a base config from the FTP server first or would it just work out of the box?

Best Regards Randy Chapman

Monday, September 2, 2013 12:26 PM
  • No provisioning required, you just select the 'Lync' Base Profile and then enter your user credentials:

http://blog.schertz.name/2012/10/polycom-qualified-lync-phone-config/

Works internally (when DCHP 43 is configured) and externally (with most common public CA certificates on the Access Edge service).

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:54 PM
  • Is this still the case? With the latest firmware, and only with the latest firmware 5.8.0.*, I get certificate download errors and both Polycom and Microsoft are telling me that I need to configure options 43 and 120.
    Also, with 2-factor authentication enabled in Office365, the user/password authentication never worked, not even with app passwords. We have been using web authentication - that's the only thing that worked somewhat reliably, until the latest firmware update.
    Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:58 PM