none
Disable Call Control on Headset RRS feed

• Question

• I picked up a Sennheiser DW Pro 2 wireless headset which has been great audio quality wise (note this is NOT the DW Pro 2 ML which is advertised as "optimized for Microsoft Lync").  The Lync 2013 desktop client is picking up when I connect the headset to the base.  I get a dial tone followed by a off the hook tone.  The only way to stop it is kill the Lync desktop client process.  I use Lync for internal IM and Lync-to-Lync calls along with Skype (IM, Skype-to-Skype Voice/Video, Skype-to-Landline Voice) and Bria (SIP Voice) on my desktop.

Skype and Bria properly ignore the message from the headset when I connect the headset to the base.  Lync jumps right in and tries to start an voice call complete with dial tone even though our Lync back-end (Office 365) is not configured for PSTN/PBX calling.  I want the headset to connect to the base only, then I will select the app which I want to take the call on.

There is no current application to configure the DW Pro 2 - the package that was available, HeadSet, was to for older OCS/Skype integration and is no longer relevant with the latest version of Skype and Lync clients. How can I tell the Lync 2013 desktop client to ignore the connect message from the headset to the base?

• Edited by ColinBowern Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:59 PM
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:57 PM

Answers

• Sennheiser product support (support(at)senncom.com) just replied back with this service note.  I have just upgraded to firmware 114 and it seems to be working better, but will continue to use over the next few days to see if it resolves it.

How to: Making Microsoft Lync Play Nicely with Other Audio Applications

The problem

Whenever the wireless link between the DW headset and base unit becomes live, typically as a result of the user pressing the headset Link button, the LED at the centre of the front face of the base unit will turn solid blue, and the base unit sends a command to Windows (called a HID command) which triggers Microsoft Lync to send a dial tone to the headset. If the user does not dial out within 30 seconds, Microsoft Lync will send a busy tone for 10 seconds and then shut down the DW wireless link (base unit blue LED off). This behaviour is fine when the user wants to dial out on Microsoft Lync call. However, it becomes a problem when the user wants to use any other audio app running on the PC - media players, dictation software etc, -as Microsoft Lync will always overlay the other audio source with dial tone then terminate the wireless link as described above. This effectively makes it impossible to use any other audio apps with the DW headset. The root of the problem is the headset behavioural model defined and required by Microsoft

To overcome this problem, Sennheiser have implemented a function called “Auto Audio Detect” in DW firmware releases 108 and above. This will open an audio link to the headset, if the DW base detects audio activity on the USB port of the PC. Thus, it is not necessary to press the headset button to create the audio link. Pressing the headset button will still activate Microsoft Lync.

Checking and Updating Your DW Firmware Release

A downloadable free software application – the Sennheiser Updater – allows you to check the firmware release level embedded in your DW system, and where necessary will update the firmware to the latest available release.

Sennheiser Telecom Product Release Note #095 - Sennheiser Updater - describes how to access, install and use the application. You will need to download  the "End User" version and as long as you have System Administration rights and your IT security gives the necessary permissions it should operate just fine in "Simple Mode" which requires a live internet connection. http://en-de.sennheiser.com/telecommunication-business-support-service-support-software

Please note that once  the DW firmware has been updated,  the headset's memory of the battery charge level will be erased, and the charge level LEDS on the base  will indicate a low charge level initially, but it will get back into kilter after a full charge cycle and then indicate the true batter charge level.

It isalso strongly recommend that you first uninstall the Sennheiser HeadSetup app if you have previously installed it on your PC as it not required to support Microsoft Lync call control  - headset ring and remote call answer/end -and can actually create operational problems with Microsoft Lync.

Auto Audio Detect Operation

Once your DW system has firmware release 108 or above installed, the Auto Audio Detect function will be automatically enabled and will allow you to run audio applications free of disruption from Microsoft Lync. Here’s how:

1. Ensure that the DW headset is selected as the default audio device for both Record and Playback in Windows Control panel. You should only have to do this once on initial physical connection of the DW system to the host  PC
    2. Ensure that the DW system is in PC mode (white PC symbol on the base unit front panel lit) and that there is no active wireless link between the DW headset and base unit. If the blue LED at the centre of the base unit front panel is on, you have a live wireless link, so press the headset Link button once and the wireless link will be deactivated and the blue LED will go off
    3. Finally simply run the chosen audio application. The DW base unit will detect that the audio app is running, and automatically activate the wireless link between the headset and base unit permitting the user to listen to received audio through the headset speaker(s)  and transmit  voice through the microphone  No HID command is sent to Microsoft Lync and so Lync remains in an idle state. It’s as simple as that.

• Marked as answer by ColinBowern Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:34 PM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:34 PM

All replies

• Sennheiser product support (support(at)senncom.com) just replied back with this service note.  I have just upgraded to firmware 114 and it seems to be working better, but will continue to use over the next few days to see if it resolves it.

How to: Making Microsoft Lync Play Nicely with Other Audio Applications

The problem

Whenever the wireless link between the DW headset and base unit becomes live, typically as a result of the user pressing the headset Link button, the LED at the centre of the front face of the base unit will turn solid blue, and the base unit sends a command to Windows (called a HID command) which triggers Microsoft Lync to send a dial tone to the headset. If the user does not dial out within 30 seconds, Microsoft Lync will send a busy tone for 10 seconds and then shut down the DW wireless link (base unit blue LED off). This behaviour is fine when the user wants to dial out on Microsoft Lync call. However, it becomes a problem when the user wants to use any other audio app running on the PC - media players, dictation software etc, -as Microsoft Lync will always overlay the other audio source with dial tone then terminate the wireless link as described above. This effectively makes it impossible to use any other audio apps with the DW headset. The root of the problem is the headset behavioural model defined and required by Microsoft

To overcome this problem, Sennheiser have implemented a function called “Auto Audio Detect” in DW firmware releases 108 and above. This will open an audio link to the headset, if the DW base detects audio activity on the USB port of the PC. Thus, it is not necessary to press the headset button to create the audio link. Pressing the headset button will still activate Microsoft Lync.

Checking and Updating Your DW Firmware Release

A downloadable free software application – the Sennheiser Updater – allows you to check the firmware release level embedded in your DW system, and where necessary will update the firmware to the latest available release.

Sennheiser Telecom Product Release Note #095 - Sennheiser Updater - describes how to access, install and use the application. You will need to download  the "End User" version and as long as you have System Administration rights and your IT security gives the necessary permissions it should operate just fine in "Simple Mode" which requires a live internet connection. http://en-de.sennheiser.com/telecommunication-business-support-service-support-software

Please note that once  the DW firmware has been updated,  the headset's memory of the battery charge level will be erased, and the charge level LEDS on the base  will indicate a low charge level initially, but it will get back into kilter after a full charge cycle and then indicate the true batter charge level.

It isalso strongly recommend that you first uninstall the Sennheiser HeadSetup app if you have previously installed it on your PC as it not required to support Microsoft Lync call control  - headset ring and remote call answer/end -and can actually create operational problems with Microsoft Lync.

Auto Audio Detect Operation

Once your DW system has firmware release 108 or above installed, the Auto Audio Detect function will be automatically enabled and will allow you to run audio applications free of disruption from Microsoft Lync. Here’s how:

1. Ensure that the DW headset is selected as the default audio device for both Record and Playback in Windows Control panel. You should only have to do this once on initial physical connection of the DW system to the host  PC
    2. Ensure that the DW system is in PC mode (white PC symbol on the base unit front panel lit) and that there is no active wireless link between the DW headset and base unit. If the blue LED at the centre of the base unit front panel is on, you have a live wireless link, so press the headset Link button once and the wireless link will be deactivated and the blue LED will go off
    3. Finally simply run the chosen audio application. The DW base unit will detect that the audio app is running, and automatically activate the wireless link between the headset and base unit permitting the user to listen to received audio through the headset speaker(s)  and transmit  voice through the microphone  No HID command is sent to Microsoft Lync and so Lync remains in an idle state. It’s as simple as that.

• Marked as answer by ColinBowern Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:34 PM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:34 PM
  • Hello,

We have Sennheisser Officer Runner headsets and still have the dial tone issue when running Lync with any other communication software (X-lite or Skype).  I have updated the firmware and followed your directions but still have the issue.  Any other resolution for this problem?

Thanks

Monday, September 15, 2014 4:58 PM
  • This is not just isolated to Sennheiser products.

I have a Jabra headset (GN9350) that has the exact same issue...

I activate the wireless link (lets say to listen to music), Lync takes control and opens a dial-tone, 30 seconds pass, busy signal, Lync closes the wireless link.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 6:50 PM
  • For the Jabra, I was able to solve this issue by installing the Jabra Direct software and changing it to use Uniphone instead of Skype.

We puchased Sennheiser for our call center so I am now searching for a solution to that. We use Skype for Business 2015 (this was called Lync before) for instant messagning but we do not have the E4 that includes telephony. So it does not make sense.

Anyway the solution above (update and make sure the softphone starts first) appears to solve the issue, at least in my personal initial testing.

Thank you so far. No an ideal solution but the best we can do at the moment.

-- Please vote as helpful / mark as answer where appropriate ;)

• Edited by Nicolai W Hjorth Tuesday, June 23, 2015 5:49 AM Added the result of test of solution
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 5:42 AM
  • Hi all, I was able to get this to work in this manner, using what is listed from above, what you need is (the key to it all) the Jabra Direct Software once you have that installed here's the path to make your headset/handset play nice with others:

• Settings
    • Open the Softphone (PC) (click on it to expand)
    • Under Perferred softphone just select Standard softphone

I am testing out the Jabra F450 handset, and I'm using this with the current Cisco IP Phone, Skype for Business 2013 (formerly known as Lync 2013) running CUCM v.9.

This seems to be the fix as of 7-9-2015 @ 10:39am

Thursday, July 9, 2015 5:39 PM
  • This may not be helpful to the current situation but I tested several headsets before our EV deployment and I found this happened on Plantronics MLs, many Jabras, and the Sennheisers Optimized for Lync.

In the end I ended up buying my users the Logitech optimized for Lync devices. If you think you'll want to listen to music then they sound the best of all of the products I tried and they didn't have the dial tone issue. On the flipside they are USB only so no handset integration.

Friday, July 10, 2015 12:12 AM
  • I realize this is an old thread, but for the sake of posterity - one fairly good solution to this issue is to disable the relevant HID-compliant device in Device Manager.  

See: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/34335c92-47ef-457d-8734-cb0eccb5fc6d/regedit-key-to-turn-off-dial-tone

• Proposed as answer by Stevenm.dk Wednesday, June 21, 2017 7:46 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Stevenm.dk Wednesday, June 21, 2017 7:46 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 8:03 PM
  • Remember to disable "split4" in the back of the Sennheiser DW headset. Otherwise it will bring Skype FB to the front and start dial tone, followed by howel after 30sec..
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 7:52 AM
  • This worked for me!

Since more than one HID-compliant device popped up under my device, I just disabled/re-enabled one by one until I found out which one was it. 

Thursday, October 5, 2017 7:33 PM
  • Once I installed the Jabra Direct(Earlier was using Jabra Xpress) which was the latest on Jabra Direct website helped fix the issue.

We use Cisco IP Communicator 8.6 along with Skype(Lync 2013)

It worked on default settings, did not try any changes.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 3:26 AM