none
Sysprep Before Or After Cloning A Hyper-V VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I hope you are well.

I am just looking for some advise/best practice on cloning Hyper-V VMs. 

The scenario we have is one production VM that we wish to make a clone of, it's an RDS server and we need another.

We are debating two ways of doing the clone and would like to know the advantages/disadvantages and the recommended route.

We intend to use sysprep, but have considered two ways:

- Sysprep the production server, shut it down, clone it, then boot both copies up and set them back up with different hostnames/IPs etc.

- Clone the production server, boot it off of the network, sysprep it, and then join it to the production environment (obviously with a different IP and different hostname for the new one).

I've been tempted with the second option as I don't believe it will mean any changes are made to the production server, so less chance for it to cause issues, however I'm not certain any would like some advise.

Thank you.

Thursday, November 3, 2016 6:43 PM

Answers

• general and recommended practice is to run sysprep once you done with master image and then keep that copy moving to your system and rolling out VMs. you dont want to run system prep again and again and investing time.

so prepare master VM. run system prep and move this VHD/ VHDx to create new VMs. my experience it has never given me any issue with any app

Mark as useful or answered if my replies helped you solving your query.
    Thanks, Happiness Always
    Jatin

• Proposed as answer by Leo HanModerator Tuesday, November 22, 2016 5:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by C Boseley Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:28 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2016 8:24 AM

All replies

• Hi C Boseley,

>>I've been tempted with the second option as I don't believe it will mean any changes are made to the production server, so less chance for it to cause issues

As far as I know, we'd better run sysprep before cloning.

However, the second option may also work. You could try it.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 4, 2016 6:56 AM
  • hi as suggested by Leo its best to use sysprep method. i am using this for years to create template VMs and then rolling VMs. this will not remove any programs and its fast also. where as cloning may take extra time and puts loads on your processor cycles.

Thanks, Happiness Always
    Jatin

Friday, November 4, 2016 7:49 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the answers. We are definitely going to use sysprep either way, but the question is whether it has to be run before the copy, or if we can simply run it after on the clone with no network adapter attached.

This would save us having to sysprep the production one which I believe is known to cause issues with some applications.

Friday, November 4, 2016 7:56 AM
  • general and recommended practice is to run sysprep once you done with master image and then keep that copy moving to your system and rolling out VMs. you dont want to run system prep again and again and investing time.

so prepare master VM. run system prep and move this VHD/ VHDx to create new VMs. my experience it has never given me any issue with any app

Thanks, Happiness Always
    Jatin

• Proposed as answer by Leo HanModerator Tuesday, November 22, 2016 5:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by C Boseley Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:28 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2016 8:24 AM
  • Hi C Boseley,

Are there any updates on the issue?

You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 5:28 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for not getting back to those that replied. Didn't really get a response that gave reasons why not to sysprep after clone however after talking to a colleague I now believe this is because HyperV will have it's own identifiers and when you try to boot it it may have issues.

I'll make this as answered/closed now, thanks.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:27 AM
  • Hi

I think the best way would be to create the VM and make any modifications. Then sysprep the VM and once finished export it to a folder. When this has been done you can then create new VMs based on the exported sysprep version. See here http://thesolving.com/virtualization/how-to-create-a-vm-template-with-hyper-v/

Shane

• Proposed as answer by Shane W Thursday, November 24, 2016 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:33 AM