none
Outlook/Exchange Headers Only Confusion RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Quite confused about this really. I have 3 mailboxes (each added manually) and want the main one to download full items, but the other two to download headers only. Ticking "download headers" under "download preferences" applies headers only to all mailboxes, and shows "connected to Microsoft Exchange(headers)" in the bottom right hand corner - however, this is not what I want. I have looked at and tested "send/receive groups", and specified manually the headers only on individual folders, but this seems to do absolutely nothing ...the "connected to Microsoft Exchange(headers)" does not appear for the folders I have set.

How do I get this to work? Which setting takes precedence? The send/recieve group talks about frequency etc, but Exchange just receives email immediately. Obviously I have 'ticked' "include the selected account in this group" for the "all accounts" group.

Anyway, I'm running Office 365/Exchange Outlook 2016. Searched/read all over internet and still confused.

example below:

Many thanks,
    Doug.

Friday, October 18, 2019 8:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Doug,

As far as I know, Send/Receive group settings do not affect Exchange accounts as Cached Exchange Mode uses a different send/receive mechanism which is near instant.

When testing on my side, actually I got same results as yours. I can only set Download preference for all Exchange account. According to the test results, this should be by design.

Does your account support POP3 protocol? If yes, configure your account as a POP account then you can set download behavior via send/receive settings.

I’d like to recommend you, visit the Outlook user voice forum to post your ideas.

It is a place for customers to provide feedback about Outlook. What’s more, if an idea is highly voted there by other customers, Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 5:51 AM
  • Hi Perry.

Thanks for your quick response and thanks for testing, but it would be really good to have some form of clarification on this matter - clearly “download headers only” can work in conjunction with Exchange because adjusting the global setting gives the desired effect. Considering that the configuring of the send/receive groups is available while running an Exchange account in Outlook then I assume that there must be a way to configure this to work; the documentation that I have come across clearly mentions that it is configurable in Outlook under Pop3 or Exchange (not IMAP), and so there must clearly be some kind of link between the automated polling of Exchange mailboxes and the enabled send/receive group.

As a side note during my testing I forced outlook to go offline and then did a manual send and receive  - under these conditions the send receive group I created gave the desired response of downloading the headers only whilst the other folders downloaded the full email; unfortunately the moment I put Outlook back into online mode, the folder that downloaded the header only immediately downloaded the full content…?

Regards,

Doug

Monday, October 21, 2019 11:06 PM
  • Hi Doug,

You can refer to this link:

Note: This option does not affect Exchange accounts as Cached Exchange Mode uses a different send/receive mechanism which is near instant. However, the Offline send/receive interval does apply to Exchange accounts when you set Outlook to Work Offline.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

As we can reproduce the situation on both sides. This may be by design currently.  I haven't found official article which explains download-behavior of message header in detailed either. I’ll help submit your feedback to Outlook user voice forum.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 1:32 AM
  • Just check if there are anything else I can do for you.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, October 28, 2019 6:18 AM
  • Hi Perry. thanks for looking further into this for me. I have to say that I'm not particularly satisfied with the answer - I assume someone should know the operation of this feature inside out. As it is there, enabled whilst my Outlook has Exchange accounts attached, I assume it should work; also, "download headers" already works using the ribbon setting, so there must be someway for it to be enabled for specific/individual accounts ...the functionality/capability is clearly there.

Thanks again,Doug.

Monday, October 28, 2019 2:07 PM
  • I can understand your feelings. I will see if I can find some workarounds. If yes, I'll share it here.

I’ll write a brief summary here for your information:

[Issue Symptom:]

====================

Cannot change Message download behavior for single Exchnage account in one profile.

[(Possible) Cause:]

====================

This is by design that we cannot set message-header-download behavior for signle Exchange account. The option will apply to all exchange accounts in one profile. Send/Receive setting doesn't work for Exchange account.

[Workaround:]

====================

Configure Exchange account in seperate profiles

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 7:55 AM