none
Lync - Multiple IM addresses for contacts RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to register multiple IM addresses for contacts in Lync?  We have Google Talk integration setup and I would love to be able to have a user's Lync Contact and their Google Talk contact show up as one entry...
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Per my knowledge, you can not achieve this target, as Lync will retrieve contacts form its own address book.

You can not add another single address book for Lync to sync.

Best Regards!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Thildemar Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:02 PM
    Monday, May 2, 2011 3:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

After Google Talk federated with Lync via the XMPP gateway,

the Microsoft XMPP gateway allows Lync users to add XMPP capable IM contacts, see presence, and conduct 1 to 1 two-way instant messaging back and forth.

To use XMPP, you must install the XMPP Gateway. You can download the XMPP Gateway from the Microsoft Download Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=202714. After you install the XMPP Gateway, you need to install the hotfix, which is available for download from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=204561.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 7:17 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, but we have the XMPP gateway setup and working.  My question is if a gmail and internal Lync contact can be stored as one entry in the Lync client itself.  So if we have an employee that uses Lync internally, but used Google talk on the road we can just have both addresses under one contact and have the system figure out which one their are logged on to.  You see this functionality in other IM clients like Trillian and Pidgin where users may have an IM address with several services.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

Per my knowledge, you can not achieve this target, as Lync will retrieve contacts form its own address book.

You can not add another single address book for Lync to sync.

Best Regards!

• Marked as answer by Thildemar Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:02 PM
    Monday, May 2, 2011 3:21 AM
  • I'm not trying to add an additional address book.  Much in the same was a user can add global address book contacts to their own outlook contacts and modify their info I would like them to be able to register the Google Talk IM address under the same contact.  so:

User Bob is a Lync user with ID:  Bob@Lync.local, he also has a Google Talk Name: Bob@gmail.com

Sally adds bob to her contact list in Lync, Bob@Lync.local shows up and presence works fine.  She then adds Bob@gmail.com, this now works, but shows up as a second contact in the Lync Client.  Is there a way for her to "merge" it with the main contact for Bob?

Monday, May 2, 2011 2:36 PM
  • I'm not trying to add an additional address book.  Much in the same was a user can add global address book contacts to their own outlook contacts and modify their info I would like them to be able to register the Google Talk IM address under the same contact.  so:

User Bob is a Lync user with ID:  Bob@Lync.local, he also has a Google Talk Name: Bob@gmail.com

Sally adds bob to her contact list in Lync, Bob@Lync.local shows up and presence works fine.  She then adds Bob@gmail.com, this now works, but shows up as a second contact in the Lync Client.  Is there a way for her to "merge" it with the main contact for Bob?

Did you figure out a way to do this?
     (sorry to pull up such an old thread...)
    • Edited by rwdev Friday, February 8, 2019 3:02 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2019 3:01 PM