Wireless key in GPO RRS feed

• Question

• I'm hoping to setup wireless network connections without having to tell my users the WPA key. I see where I can tell the client to connect to available networks, but I can't see anywhere to enter the encryption key.

Is this possible? Thanks.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hi mhashemi,

Thanks for posting here.

Based on my knowledge that there is no way to input the network security key for wireless authentication via group policy. You might like try if the method that Gunter mentioned worked: with netsh wlan command line to export and input the wireless settings via start script .

However, if the wireless devices in your network supports RADIUS protocol, then you could deploy RADIUS server for wireless authentication and enroll certification ,set wireless authentication polices via group policy, after that when users attempt to  access wireless network ,system will automatically use the certification that assign to computer or account to authentication and determine if has right to access this network.in that case users do not have to manually input the security key for  authentication.

For more information ,please take look the articles below:

How Wireless Network Policies Extension Works

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778631(WS.10).aspx

Wireless Deployment Recommendations and Best Practices

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457091.aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by mhashemi Monday, October 4, 2010 9:01 PM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:05 AM

All replies

• Hi there

the following suggestion is from this post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverGP/thread/e74496e2-75fb-4403-8f4c-67fc8a3a95b2

I would suggest setting Network Policy Services to allow your wireless devices to be managed.

However, if you're insistant on using WEP/WPA, you can use netsh to import/export wireless profiles and configure this to run at a login script.

Export the profile from a computer that has been configured to access the wireless network:

netsh wlan show profiles

Choose the profile you want to export and a location to export the file to:

netsh wlan export profile name=”home-network” folder=”g:\wireless-profile”

Once the profile has been exported, you can configure a login script to run the following command:

netsh wlan add profile filename="g:\wireless-profile.xml”

Hope this helps

Gunter

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 7:33 PM
  • Hi mhashemi,

Thanks for posting here.

Based on my knowledge that there is no way to input the network security key for wireless authentication via group policy. You might like try if the method that Gunter mentioned worked: with netsh wlan command line to export and input the wireless settings via start script .

However, if the wireless devices in your network supports RADIUS protocol, then you could deploy RADIUS server for wireless authentication and enroll certification ,set wireless authentication polices via group policy, after that when users attempt to  access wireless network ,system will automatically use the certification that assign to computer or account to authentication and determine if has right to access this network.in that case users do not have to manually input the security key for  authentication.

For more information ,please take look the articles below:

How Wireless Network Policies Extension Works

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778631(WS.10).aspx

Wireless Deployment Recommendations and Best Practices

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457091.aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by mhashemi Monday, October 4, 2010 9:01 PM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:05 AM
  • Hi mhashemi,

If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Tiger Li

Monday, October 4, 2010 9:53 AM