none
Access between on premise Frontend servers, edge servers and skype online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have built a hybrid environment between Skype for business 2015 and Skype online.

There is no full internet access on any server (FrontEnd and EDGE servers) of skype for business 2015 servers, only specific access (ports 443 etc....) is allowed to the edge servers to/from internet on there Public NICs.

The Front end servers do not have any access to internet.

The issue is, that i am unable to migrate any user to skype online.

So i want to know if any access is required from the frontend servers to skype online?

or Skype online access is required only from/to the edge servers?

From Frontend server i am try the following command but getting the mentioned error. Nearly same error from GUI/Controlpanel

PS C:\Users\user> Move-CsUser -Identity nawaz@domain.com -Target sipfed.online.lync.com -Credential $cred -Hoste
    dMigrationOverrideUrl $url
    Confirm
    Move-CsUser
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y
    Move-CsUser : Failed to connect live id servers. Make sure proxy is enabled or machine has network connection to live
    id servers.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Move-CsUser -Identity nawaz@domain.com -Target sipfed.online.ly ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Move-CsUser], CommonAuthException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Rtc.Admin.Authentication.CommonAuthException,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.AD.Cmdle
       ts.MoveOcsUserCmdlet

• Edited by Nawaz Khan Thursday, February 13, 2020 6:46 AM
    Thursday, February 13, 2020 6:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Nawaz Khan,

I am checking the status of this case. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Meanwhile, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer to close the thread, it will help others who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Thank you for your understanding and patience!

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Nawaz Khan Monday, February 17, 2020 10:16 AM
    Monday, February 17, 2020 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Nawaz Khan,

This problem is caused by the internet.

When you move user whether from on-premises to online or from online to on-premises, it must have internet. This is because the Skype for Business online is always in Internet. If you want to access it, your on-premise environment must access to Internet.

If you want to move users between on-premises and cloud, you need to meet the following prerequisites:

1. The organization must have Azure AD Connect properly configured and be syncing all relevant attributes for the user as described in Configure Azure AD Connect.

2. Skype for Business hybrid must be configured.

3. The user must be assigned a license for Skype for Business Online (Plan 2).

You can learn more about it in this document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/hybrid/move-users-between-on-premises-and-cloud.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 13, 2020 8:37 AM
  • Hi Sharon,

thank you for your comment, really appreciated. is there any TechNet Article in which such access defined between  Fronend servers and skype online. actually i want to open some more specific access between FrontEnd servers and skype online. Thanks in advance.  

Thursday, February 13, 2020 9:56 AM
  • Thank you Sharon for support.

I got internet access on the FE servers and now i am able to migrate users to and from skype online to on premise servers.

So yes. FE servers need full internet access or access to the specific URL of skype online for users migration to/from Skype online.

• Edited by Nawaz Khan Friday, February 14, 2020 6:48 AM
    Friday, February 14, 2020 6:47 AM
  • Hi Nawaz Khan,

Thanks for your sharing, glad to see it is resolved.

Meanwhile, if there is no issue, please remember to mark helpful reply as answer to close the thread. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

It seems that no summary of all access between Skype for Business on-premises and online. However, if you want to add some new features, we can search the specific document for reference.

Skype for Business online will be retired on July 31,2021, after which it will no longer be accessible or supported. So, I recommend you upgrade from Skype for Business online to Teams. You can read this article to learn more about this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/upgrade-to-teams-execute-skypeforbusinessonline.

If you have an on-premises enterprise voice solution, you can configure Microsoft Phone system direct routing to connect it to Microsoft Phone System. For more detailed information, you can refer to this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/direct-routing-plan.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Friday, February 14, 2020 7:17 AM
  • Hi Nawaz Khan,

I am checking the status of this case. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Meanwhile, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer to close the thread, it will help others who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Thank you for your understanding and patience!

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

• Marked as answer by Nawaz Khan Monday, February 17, 2020 10:16 AM
    Monday, February 17, 2020 9:13 AM
  • Thank you Sharon.

Yes. may issue is resolved. after providing the required access to the server. 

Monday, February 17, 2020 10:17 AM
  • I’m glad that my reply is helpful.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post. This will make answer searching in the forum easier.

<Request/Expectation>:

Skype for business server 2015 hybrid.

There is no full internet access on any server (Front-End and EDGE servers) of skype for business 2015 servers, only specific access (ports 443 etc....) is allowed to the edge servers to/from internet on the Public NICs.

The Front-end servers do not have any access to internet.

The issue is that I am unable to migrate any user to skype online.

<Suggestions>:

This problem is caused by the internet.

When you move user whether from on-premises to online or from online to on-premises, it must have internet. This is because the Skype for Business online is always in Internet. If you want to access it, your on-premise environment must access to Internet.

If you want to move users between on-premises and cloud, you need to meet the following prerequisites:

1. The organization must have Azure AD Connect properly configured and be syncing all relevant attributes for the user as described in Configure Azure AD Connect.

2. Skype for Business hybrid must be configured.

3. The user must be assigned a license for Skype for Business Online (Plan 2)..

<Reference Links>:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/hybrid/move-users-between-on-premises-and-cloud

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/upgrade-to-teams-execute-skypeforbusinessonline

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 9:29 AM