none
Failed to connect to the existing server fam RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I have an existing Sharepoint 2013 environment, now I want to add one more App server into the existing farm, but when I am going to connect the same it is giving an error "Failed to connect to the existing Server farm located at the specified database server and database name. The database name is not a valid configuration database".

For further information:

• When I provide the DB Name during the wizard run, config dasbase base name retrieved, but on next button error is coming.
    • We are using the cluster DB approach.

Regards, Pankaj Waghmare - MCTS | Consultant

Friday, May 16, 2014 6:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The issue you encountered might be caused by that the account you used to log into the server which didn’t have full access to SQL server. Please perform the following steps and check the issue again:

• Make sure that all SharePoint Servers are on the same domain, including VM
    • Add service account (you used to log) in all WPG groups
    • In SQL Server Management Studio, give service account sysadmin, dbcreator and securityadmin rights
    • It might need you log off and log in again to update account permission

Here is the reference for Configuring the SharePoint VM:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn275962.aspx

Regards,

Rebecca Tu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:32 AM

All replies

• May be it is due to clustered DB

Create a UDL file on computer and check if you face issue when accessing it.

If you have active \ active config try to change it to Active\passive and try.

Do we see any other error or PSconfig logs which might be helpful

Friday, May 16, 2014 6:26 AM
  • Hi Pankaj,

Please confirm the service account you are using to run the configuration wizard on the second server has full rights to the configuration database.

http://blog.fpweb.net/adding-configuration-databases-to-sharepoint-2010-server-farms/

Regards,

Rebecca Tu

Monday, May 19, 2014 2:51 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply guys..

I forgot to mentioned one more thing, the Server which is not connecting to the farm actually it's a VM and rest of the machines are physical boxes.

So, Is there any setting or configuration required for VLAN.

Regards, Pankaj Waghmare - MCTS | Consultant

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

The issue you encountered might be caused by that the account you used to log into the server which didn’t have full access to SQL server. Please perform the following steps and check the issue again:

• Make sure that all SharePoint Servers are on the same domain, including VM
    • Add service account (you used to log) in all WPG groups
    • In SQL Server Management Studio, give service account sysadmin, dbcreator and securityadmin rights
    • It might need you log off and log in again to update account permission

Here is the reference for Configuring the SharePoint VM:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn275962.aspx

Regards,

Rebecca Tu

Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:32 AM