none
Microsoft Lync 2010 updated our Contacts?? Need Help!! RRS feed

• Question

• I am hoping there is someone out there that knows Microsoft Lync very well. We have OCS 2007 R2 but we are rolling out Microsoft Lync 2010. Everyone is on the Lync server but not everyone's client has been upgraded. The other night, one of our admins was working with Microsoft and I don't know the details but they made changes to everyones telephone number in AD. It had something to do with telephone number normalization or something and they added a suffix of ;ext=XXXX to everyones phone number. Since we have thousands of users, I assume this was done programatically. The important thing to note here is the phone number change caused major issues with all our mobile device users. Apparently that telephone number change in AD somehow replicated to everyones personal Contacts in Exchange which sync with their mobile deivces. For example, if I had a Contact for John Doe and the phone number listed was something like (xxx)-xxx-xxxx, the phone number changed to (xxx)-xxx-xxxx ;ext=xxx. Although the phone number change was not a problem for Outlook, the mobile devices did not like it. My questions are, if anyone knows, how did the Contacts get updated. Just changing AD properties won't change a Contacts properties. Only thing we can think of is Lync went in and updated all the Contacts from the information in AD. Microsoft says no. Lync will not do that but they don't have any explanation for how the Contact phone numbers got changed. If anyone that knows Microsoft Lync 2010 has any knowledge about this, please feel free offer suggestions. We have since reverted the changes so all the telephone numbers in AD are now back to the way they were without the ;ext=xxxx suffix but the Contacts are still messed up. I know this is a difficult one. I put this under Microsoft AD and Exchange because I could not find a Lync category.
    Friday, March 25, 2011 1:18 AM

All replies

• I guess they changed the wrong number, in my opinion the Telephone number has been change and not the correct attribute in AD msRTC-SIPLine
    - Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-exchange.be -
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:58 PM