none
Cannot make audio/video calls RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've sort of successfully installed a Lync server, however, every time two clients attempt a call, either voice or video, the call fails with error: call failed due to network issues. I can't seem to find anything in the logs that could help me. All clients are external to the network.

There is no PSTN or other network services. 

Anyone have any ideas that could help me? 

The calls are PC-to-PC. Both clients are logging in via an external network.

Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:11 PM

Answers

• Yes.  Even though your Lync server is 'external' and may itself be on a public IP address only the Edge Server role contains the media proxy capabilities to allow remote clients the ability to leverage ICE/STUN/TURN to successfully negotiate media sessions through firewalls and NAT.  As the clients themselves are most likely behind their own NAT devices then you won't be able to get media working without the Edge Server.

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:44 PM
  • No Lync server role can be collocated on a domain controller.  And the Edge Server needs to be on a multi-homed, dedicated server.
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:54 PM

All replies

• Do you have an Edge Server deployed or are the external clients using a VPN connection to sign-in to the internal Lync Server?

Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:29 PM
  • Neither - I can see where this is going - do I HAVE to deploy an Edge server?

The server itself already external. None of the servers are really in a central network, they are quite literally, scattered :(

• Edited by ShamilN Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:37 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:36 PM
  • Yes.  Even though your Lync server is 'external' and may itself be on a public IP address only the Edge Server role contains the media proxy capabilities to allow remote clients the ability to leverage ICE/STUN/TURN to successfully negotiate media sessions through firewalls and NAT.  As the clients themselves are most likely behind their own NAT devices then you won't be able to get media working without the Edge Server.

Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:44 PM
  • Can a Lync Edge server be installed on a DC?
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:53 PM
  • No Lync server role can be collocated on a domain controller.  And the Edge Server needs to be on a multi-homed, dedicated server.
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:54 PM
  • Thanks Jeff, I'll look into implementing this right away.
    Friday, September 9, 2011 12:05 AM