none
Recording options in settings and start recording greyed out on all clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

i was asked about allowing clients to record both peer to peer and online meeting confrences. i have allowed recording in all conferencing policies including the Global policy yet all my clients still show the recording options in settings and the start recording as "greyed out" or unavailable. i have verified in both the Lync Control Panel and the Lync Management Shell that all necessary items related to recording are turned on.

one other thing to note. Our company has not deployed any type of voice or telephony. we use Lync for IM and presence and non-audio (visual and text only) confrences. my users want to be able to record the "visuals" and text of their meetings for future refrence and training.

can anyone help me??

Thanks

Mike

• Edited by Menz_01 Wednesday, September 12, 2012 4:14 PM spelling
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Peer to peer recording (audio, video) is possible between Lync clients,  how are you sharing non-audio contents ? Is it via desktop sharing /PPT sharing or scheduled meeting ?

Did you get a chance to look at following conference policy ? http://blogs.technet.com/b/csps/archive/2011/08/11/confpoliciesenablep2precording.aspx

Thanks
    Saleesh

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Hi,

Peer to peer recording (audio, video) is possible between Lync clients,  how are you sharing non-audio contents ? Is it via desktop sharing /PPT sharing or scheduled meeting ?

Did you get a chance to look at following conference policy ? http://blogs.technet.com/b/csps/archive/2011/08/11/confpoliciesenablep2precording.aspx

Thanks
    Saleesh

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer.

yes i did look at that page yesterday and all my settings related to that page are enabled. i have tried many different ways in my tests to get it to work and none worked. i tried simply openning up a conversation and trying to start recording like the example on the page you refrenced but "start recording" was greyed out for both me and the other user. i tried adding more people to the conversation to see if i needed more than 2 people and again "start recording" was greyed out. i tried scheduling an online meeting through outlook and after the conference started i tried again and again "start recording" was greyed out. and alll the times i tried the "recording options" under settings was "greyed out" as well
    • Edited by Menz_01 Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:12 PM spelling
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:11 PM
  • Can you connect a headset or webcam on one of the machine for testing and check recording option on it ??

Thanks

Saleesh

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Can you connect a headset or webcam on one of the machine for testing and check recording option on it ??

Thanks

Saleesh

i already have a webcam and a headset on my workstation. forgive me for asking but, what does that have to do with recording. most users in my company will NOT have a webcam and only 1/3 have headsets. according to the articles i read i should be able to record anything done in a session including IM, White boarding, desktop sharing, etc.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:31 PM
  • I have seen couple cases in which recording /Audio calling options were disabled due to external devices. But that isn't the case here.

Is there any group policies enforced on client machines ?

Thanks

Saleesh

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:33 PM
  • we have GPO's but none are labeled having anything to do with Lync or any "communication" i can go through them, but what am i looking for??
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:23 PM
  • Hi,

I have tested it. I found that the Start Recording option is inactive until you send a message. You can have a try.

Friday, September 14, 2012 7:53 AM
  • Hi,

I have tested it. I found that the Start Recording option is inactive until you send a message. You can have a try.

i have sent messages to users and had them reply to verify we were "connected" first. the options are still greyed out
    Friday, September 14, 2012 12:25 PM
  • I have de same problem, within the Lync client logs is that starts with perimsos necessary for recording:

<provisionGroup name="meetingPolicy" >

<instance >

<property name="AllowIPAudio" >true</property>

<property name="AllowIPVideo" >true</property>

<property name="EnableAppDesktopSharing" >true</property>

<property name="AllowAppSharingForExternalMeeting" >None</property>

<property name="RetainPPTForExternalMeeting" >false</property>

<property name="AllowPresenterToRecord" >true</property>

<property name="EnableDataCollaboration" >true</property>

<property name="MeetingSize" >15</property>

<property name="EnablePSTNConferencing" >true</property>

<property name="TrustedConferencingPinRequired" >false</property>

<property name="AllowParticipantControl" >true</property>

<property name="AllowAnnotations" >true</property>

<property name="AllowAnonymousParticipants" >true</property>

<property name="AllowExternalUserControl" >false</property>

<property name="AllowExternalUsersToSaveContent" >false</property>

<property name="AllowExternalUserRecording" >true</property>

<property name="AllowPolls" >true</property>

<property name="AllowRecording" >true</property>

<property name="EnableP2PRecording" >true</property>

<property name="AllowFileTransfer" >true</property>

<property name="MaxConferenceVideoResolution" >VGA</property>

<property name="AllowUserToScheduleMeetingsWithAppSharing" >true</property>

<property name="EnableP2PFileTransfer" >true</property>

<property name="AllowedAppDesktopSharingLevel" >Desktop</property>

<property name="AudioBitRate" >200</property>

<property name="VideoBitRate" >50000</property>

<property name="AppSharingBitRate" >50000</property>

<property name="FileTransferBitRate" >50000</property>

<property name="EnableP2PVideo" >true</property>

<property name="DisablePowerPointAnnotations" >false</property>

</instance>

Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:05 PM
  • I just solved the problem in my case was caused by the Lync client version, was using the latest version (June 2012) and what I did was uninstall and leave in Version 4.0.7577.0

regards
    Marcos
    • Proposed as answer by Sharon.ShenModerator Friday, October 5, 2012 10:05 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Menz_01 Friday, October 5, 2012 12:33 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:03 PM
  • I just solved the problem in my case was caused by the Lync client version, was using the latest version (June 2012) and what I did was uninstall and leave in Version 4.0.7577.0

regards
    Marcos

really... the .0 release version allows it?? thats seems awfully strange, i'm not saying i don't believe you cause i do. it's just strange that a newer version would break something... oh well... i may have to install an older version and see
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:06 PM
  • i see the above post where it says the user used the original release (.0) version and was able to use recording options marked as answer. how is downgrading all the way to the original release an answer?? i have 3,000 users and i know there are companies out there with even more. thats a daunting task to downgrade so many users.
    Friday, October 5, 2012 12:33 PM
  • Having the same issue? Any feedback?
    Monday, May 9, 2016 11:57 AM