none
Exchange 2013 OWA/ECP HTTP 500 Internal Server Error RRS feed

• Question

• So I know there are a lot of these threads, so I'll list what I've done and what I've tried so far.

The setup is a pair of multirole servers with a DAG.  We have a root domain and sub domain.

I've created 4 databases associated with the DAG, I successfully removed the default database on the 2nd mail server, then migrated the arbitration/system/discovery etc... mailboxes to one of the DAG databases.  I then removed the 1st mail server's default database after killing it's healthmailbox.  Rebooted the pair of servers and after that the ECP/OWA were inaccessible.

To run tests I installed .NET 3.5 SP1 so I could run the ExBPA which really didn't get me anywhere.

I can access the logon screen for both, but when I enter my username and password, I get the http 500 internal server error.

I have used: Get-OwaVirtualDirectory -Server <server name> | fl *auth*
    To verify that basic and forms based auth are enabled, and they are.

I've verified all services have started.

I've tried to remove and re-add the app pools and the ecp virtual directories.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/bb148ccb-a75e-4571-bfc7-76950f8e638e/exchange-2013-cu2-cant-access-ecp-unexpected-error-500?forum=exchangesvrgeneral

I've tried to use ADSI Edit to purge the Canary Data.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/777b51ee-330d-43cc-a56e-4614d44aed7b/unable-to-access-owa-or-ecp-something-went-wrong-or-500-unexpected-error?forum=exchangesvrclients

I've tried to run test-ecpconnectivity but stated that the test user wasn't available.
    So I tried to use the powershell script to create a new test user, but it doesn't seem to work either I think it's related to the exchange machine not being a member of the root domain, but not sure on that one.

I seem to be able to manage everything with command-line still.  Create and remove mailboxes etc.

As far as errors/warnings go exchange wise I get an ASP.NET 4.0 warning Event ID 1309 stating that an unhandled exception occurred, which seems to coincide with the logon attempt.  I'm sure this has something to do with it, but not real sure what yet.  Nothing I can see within the logon attempt from IIS or anything else really.

I think that's about all I have.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 11:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please check on the Application Pools to view whether OWA and ECP Application Pool is running on .NET Framework v4.0. It maybe the incompletely installation of Framework that causes this error.

If so, We can try to run the following command as Administrator:

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_regiis.exe -i

Or change the MSExchangeECPAppPool from .NET Framework from v4.0 to v2.0. Then restart IIS to have a try.

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Julez K Wednesday, April 30, 2014 2:19 PM
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 9:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check on the Application Pools to view whether OWA and ECP Application Pool is running on .NET Framework v4.0. It maybe the incompletely installation of Framework that causes this error.

If so, We can try to run the following command as Administrator:

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_regiis.exe -i

Or change the MSExchangeECPAppPool from .NET Framework from v4.0 to v2.0. Then restart IIS to have a try.

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Julez K Wednesday, April 30, 2014 2:19 PM
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 9:40 AM
  • Thanks Winnie, I'm not sure if the aspnet_regiis.exe -i fixed it or what.

It's strange because I only ran that on one of the two servers, and before I couldn't authenticate regardless of which one I connected to.

As of right now this test environment seems to be working.  Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by PhillipusG Wednesday, December 13, 2017 10:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 2:18 PM
  • thanks Winnie,you saved my day!

had same problem and run your command only on one server and both worked fine.

MY issue was because i had to re-create virtual switch on my Hyper-V.When assigned the new card to both Exchange servers (2013)  took almost 30 min before i could open network connections and reset same IP as before (even control panel was hanging).

I suspect its because if cluster failover(DAG),since the other servers/lync 2013,Edge,DC) was fine!

When i finally got network working on both Exchange i got 500 Internal server error.

Thanks!

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:26 PM
  • HI Winnie,

i have same problem above mentioned, i tried by changing MS EXCHange app pool from .net v4 to v2.0 and restarted then it is started giving 400 forbidden error, please help me.

regards

Naveen

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:13 AM
  • This worked for me after adding an Exchange 2013 sever to a Exchange 2010 environment.  Run the following command on the Exchange 2013 server after Exchange 2013 was fully installed:

Setup /Mode:upgrade   /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

From the Exchange 2013 browser run:

https://FDQNExchange2013/ecp?ExchClientVer=15

I hope thing works

Bob Krangle

• Edited by Rocky19xx Monday, June 12, 2017 6:59 PM
    Monday, June 12, 2017 6:59 PM