none
Lync 2010 sql express to standard migration RRS feed

• Question

• hi,
    i am looking out to upgrade sql 2008 express to standard edition.
    suggest link for steps to be followed. Also special consideration before upgrading & after up gradation?

Is there any downtime involved? 

Monday, October 1, 2012 5:37 AM

Answers

• Hi

Thamara could not have made it clearer.

With a Lync STANDARD:   Upgrading SQL Express to SQL Standard is not possible...

The product :   Lync STANDARD was design that way...

Lync standard version provide Customer a low cost solution :All role including the Free SQL express on 1 server.

Only Lync Entreprise version will allow you to use a dedicated SQL standard server

Regards

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks.

Jean-Philippe Breton | Senior Microsoft Consultant | MCTS, MCITP, MCT, Lync MVP

Monday, October 1, 2012 1:43 PM
  • thanks for making it clear.

one last question consider if i followed steps as per below link wud it give me option for upgrading but failed as not supported or it wil not at all give me option to upgrade.http://databasebestpractices.com/edition-upgrade-sql-server-2008-r2-express-standard-edition/

Also if i am continuing with express edition can it be cover under microsoft support product? can i install updates & patches for express r2.

Hi,there

Lync Standard Edition can only support SQL express version,as JP said it's embeded.However,you can pre-install SQL 2008 Express R2 before you installing Lync Standard Edition or upgrade it to SQL 2008 Express R2 after you deploying Lync Standard Edition by default.

You can check the note in this link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398669.aspx

And here is another blog talking about pre-installing SQL Express 2008 R2 for Lync Server 2010 RTCLOCAL instance for your reference.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/lyncativity/archive/2012/06/14/preinstalling-sql-express-2008-r2-for-lync-server-2010-rtclocal-instance.aspx

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You cannot just move the SQL express in to the MSSQL standard edition. If your looking to migrate Lync standard edition to Enterprise Edition, there's no straight forward way of doing that.

Thamara. MCTS, MCITP Ent Admin, Specialized in U.C Voice OCS 2007 R2 Z-Hire -- Automate IT Account creation process ( AD / Exchange / Lync )

Monday, October 1, 2012 8:20 AM
  • when lync 2010 installed with default options, lync installed with 2008 express edition. 
    now we realized we might miss out some functionality with express edition of sql 2008. i.e. the reason we are looking for upgrading sql 2008 express to standard edition.

So you mean to say there is no way to upgrade express to standard.

Monday, October 1, 2012 8:29 AM
  • That is depending on the deployment. If you deploy Standard edition, then it'll be SQL Express and you don't have any option to change it. If you deploy Enterprise edition, then you need to deploy a separate back end MSSQL server for it.

seems that you have deployed the Standard edition and there's no option to migrate the DB to MSSQL platform.

Thamara. MCTS, MCITP Ent Admin, Specialized in U.C Voice OCS 2007 R2 Z-Hire -- Automate IT Account creation process ( AD / Exchange / Lync )

Monday, October 1, 2012 8:51 AM
  • yes we have lync 2010 installed with default settings.

So in our case it is not possible to upgrade sql 2008 express to sql 2008 standard edition by any way.

wat wud you recommend if we want sql 2008 standard edition in production.......can you verify if steps from below link are applicable.

http://databasebestpractices.com/edition-upgrade-sql-server-2008-r2-express-standard-edition/

Monday, October 1, 2012 9:22 AM
  • the URL that you provided there is the common practice to upgrade from Express to SE\EE. But in Lync, you need to upgrade the platform as well. if you need to use MSSQL DB for Lync Server, you need to migrate from standard Platform to Enterprise platform. 

But can you tell me the reason that you want do to this? Lync Server 2010 standard edition support up to 5000 users when it deployed in recommended configuration. What make you want to move from Express to Full?

Monday, October 1, 2012 9:48 AM
  • i have been told that in order to utilize all functionality with support &patching i need to have either Standard & Enterprise instead of free Express.

I didnt understand wat do u mean by platform.

you mean to say if i have to upgrade sql express to standard i also have to upgrade windows 2008 r2 standard to enterprise. 
    sql 2008 standard is not supported on windows 2008r2 standard?

Monday, October 1, 2012 10:55 AM
  • I meant the Lync Server 2010 platform. Only Lync Server 2010 Enterprise edition can have full MSSQL server support. that can be ether SQL Standard or Enterprise. but the Lync Server 2010 should be on Enterprise edition.

About Patching and upgrades, you get full patch updates for Lync Server Standard edition that use SQL express. you cannot have full SQL SE or EE for Lync server Standard edition.

Monday, October 1, 2012 11:02 AM
  • ohh i was not aware....we have lync 2010 standard edition colocated with sql 2008 express.......we have planned to upgrade sql express to standard but if it is as per your last post where Lync 2010 standard will not work with sql 2008 standard......it will be problamatic.

can you refer me to respective Microsoft article where it is mentioned Lync 2010 standard edition is not supported with sql 2008 express.

Monday, October 1, 2012 11:41 AM
  • you mean Lync server 2010 SE does not support SQL 2008 SE/EE. it's there in the Technet Lync server 2010 deployment. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398085.aspx

Monday, October 1, 2012 11:55 AM
  • yes..i followed technet article but still it is not very much clear to inform it to customer that Lync 2010 standard is not supported with SQL 2008 Standard edition.

So as per my earliar post steps to upgrade MySQL edition will not work in Lync 2010 standard edition case to upgrade sql express to SE? OR it will work but not supported by Microsoft?anyone have tried before?

Ideally i dont understand why Microsoft put SQL 2008 standard edition dependency with Lync 2010 Enterprise edition only. It wud be beneficial if Lync 2010 wud have been supported with Express as well as Standard edition of SQL 2008.(Colocated with Lync 2010).

Can you tel wat is difference between SQL 2008 R2 express & Express edition & Standard edition.

so for me best is to upgrade SQL express to express R2. Is Express R2 supported with windows patches?

Monday, October 1, 2012 12:44 PM
  • Hi

Thamara could not have made it clearer.

With a Lync STANDARD:   Upgrading SQL Express to SQL Standard is not possible...

The product :   Lync STANDARD was design that way...

Lync standard version provide Customer a low cost solution :All role including the Free SQL express on 1 server.

Only Lync Entreprise version will allow you to use a dedicated SQL standard server

Regards

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks.

Monday, October 1, 2012 1:43 PM

one last question consider if i followed steps as per below link wud it give me option for upgrading but failed as not supported or it wil not at all give me option to upgrade.http://databasebestpractices.com/edition-upgrade-sql-server-2008-r2-express-standard-edition/

Also if i am continuing with express edition can it be cover under microsoft support product? can i install updates & patches for express r2.

Monday, October 1, 2012 5:17 PM
  • The link you provide wont work.

SQL Express is like "Embedded"  into Lync Standard.

Yes, SQL Express is fully supported by Microsoft and  yes you can use any tool (WSUS, SCCM )   to patch and update SQL Express.

Monday, October 1, 2012 5:19 PM

Hi,there

Lync Standard Edition can only support SQL express version,as JP said it's embeded.However,you can pre-install SQL 2008 Express R2 before you installing Lync Standard Edition or upgrade it to SQL 2008 Express R2 after you deploying Lync Standard Edition by default.

You can check the note in this link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398669.aspx

And here is another blog talking about pre-installing SQL Express 2008 R2 for Lync Server 2010 RTCLOCAL instance for your reference.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/lyncativity/archive/2012/06/14/preinstalling-sql-express-2008-r2-for-lync-server-2010-rtclocal-instance.aspx

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:37 AM