none
Importing Distribution List into Outlook for Mac RRS feed

• Question

• Our organization is a mixed Windows-Mac environment.  Recently, a user sent a distribution list as an attachment to several colleagues.  All of the Windows users were able to simply drag-and-drop the distribution list from the message into their own Contacts.  It was effortless.  The lone Mac user was not so fortunate.  In fact, we have tested it on multiple Mac computers, and it does not seem to work that way.  Furthermore, for such a simple task, we cannot figure out how to import a distribution list into Contacts (People) in Outlook for Mac.  Tutorials also appear to be lacking online.  If anyone knows how to do this without rebuilding the distribution list person by person, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Sunday, October 20, 2019 12:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Johnathan,

Thanks for your reply.

According to my research, I'm afraid there is no such way for this if it is a personal distribution list created by a user.

In this situation, it is encouraged to share your feedback via the Outlook UserVoice forum.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>> In fact, we have tested it on multiple Mac computers, and it does not seem to work that way. 

Yes, I tested in my enviroment and it does not seem to work that way.

>> how to import a distribution list into Contacts (People) in Outlook for Mac.

If you are using a Exchange account, it is suggested to import a distrubution list directly from the Address Book. In Outlook for Mac, click Address Book > search for the distrubution list you'd like to add to your Contact > right click > Add to My Contact.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 9:33 AM
  • Thank you, Aidan.  Unfortunately, it is not a public distribution list that exists in the Global Address List.  It is a personal distribution list created by a different user.  If you have any other ideas, I would love to hear them. 

Thanks again,
    Johnathan

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:09 AM
  • Hi Johnathan,

Thanks for your reply.

According to my research, I'm afraid there is no such way for this if it is a personal distribution list created by a user.

In this situation, it is encouraged to share your feedback via the Outlook UserVoice forum.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:59 AM
  • Thanks again, Aidan.  You are correct.  There was already a suggestion posted in 2015 on the Outlook UserVoice forum requesting this functionality.  Apparently, it is not a top priority.

Sincerely,
    Johnathan
    Tuesday, October 22, 2019 9:10 PM