none
KB4501375, KB4507453 & KB4505903 Windows Setup Regression RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 1903

It seems that the last three cumulative updates (KB4501375, KB4507453 and preview KB4505903) contain a regression that causes Windows Setup to fail in WinPE environment. Using DISM to integrate the updates to "Microsoft Windows Setup (x64)"@boot.wim image will cause this error when trying to install Windows:

KB4503293 and previous cumulative updates work fine.

• Edited by Jan Klos Friday, July 19, 2019 9:53 PM KB4505903
    Thursday, July 11, 2019 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As installing KB4507453 needs to install Servicing stack updates KB4509096 at first. For installing KB4501375, we need to install Servicing stack updates KB4506933 before. So try to install the 2 servicing stack updates and then install the 2 cumulative updates to image to check again. 

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 12, 2019 2:33 AM
  • I am obviously installing the newest servicing update as well. I am not sure if I would be able to even install the newer CUs without it.

The problem has nothing to do with the servicing updates - there is some regression in the newer version of files of Windows Setup. If you actually replace the newer versions with files present on the installation media, (like https://aria2.github.io/ does), everything works correctly. However, if you integrate properly (like Media Creation Tool Does), the setup files get updated to the new versions contained in the CU and the regression manifests.

I wonder if/when MCT will be updated to integrate July updates - I am doing exactly the same steps like the tool does.
    Friday, July 12, 2019 7:22 AM
  • Hi,

To verify TechNet account, please refer the following link.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15960.how-to-verify-your-msdntechnet-forums-account-so-that-you-can-post-images-and-links.aspx

As the loaded picture in the first link is not available to access, I recommend to post it here after account verification. 

For the issue, please feedback to Microsoft through system build in "Feedback hub".

As a workaround, we could deploy the 2 Windows update packages after system setup completed.

Bests,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 12, 2019 9:20 AM
  • I did ask for account verification on the verification thread 2 days ago. Also, my account is almost 5 years old. I guess I will try the e-mail...

You do realize how incredibly amateurish this is, do you? :)

EDIT: I have added the image to the OP.
    • Edited by Jan Klos Friday, July 12, 2019 12:23 PM edit
    Friday, July 12, 2019 10:56 AM
  • Also, submitting any bug that does obviously manifest to thousands of people to Feedback hub is a complete waste of time (as demonstrated in the last two Windows 10 major updates), which is the main reason I am trying other channels - so there is at least some possibility that an actual human being reads it. It seems though that no one able to confirm/fix this regression fixed will read this anyway, so I guess I will just wait - this WILL manifest once guys at MS try to make the Media Creation Tool integrate July updates into the wim/esd images.
    Friday, July 12, 2019 11:05 AM
  • Hi, 

Thank you for your picture. For the media creation tool, I think Microsoft will inject the 2 update package into it in a specific time which they might have corresponding update policy.

Bests, 

Saturday, July 13, 2019 7:02 AM
  • Still broken in the preview CU KB4505903/18362.264.
    Friday, July 19, 2019 9:57 PM
  • Hi,

I am afraid we should keep on waiting for update. It would be the best action for the existing status.

Bests,

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:56 AM