none
Lync 2010 services refuse to start if domain is unavailable? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of virtualizing our Lync 2010 server. The OS seems healthy post-conversion and passes sfc /scannow but some of the Lync services start and then stop.

I have the network adapter disconnected on the guest on purpose, so it can't talk to the production Lync server or the domain controllers. Is that the cause of some of them not starting? 

I can't open the Lync Control panel either. The Lync Server Deployment wizard opens and everything in it works.

I gave the Lync server the same IP address, same name, same everything, only not yet connected to any network.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 9:36 PM

All replies

• Hi HASB Admin,

Which Lync environment do you have in your environment, with Lync Standard Edition or Lync Enterprise pool?

Based on my research, if you have Standard Edition Server, you need to let the services all completely stopped/the server is shut down and the IP addressing remains the same once the virtual machine is up, you should be fine. You could refer to the similar case. Make sure the IP address is same when the you start the server and the server has been joined to the domain.

If you have Lync Enterprise pool, you must let all the FE Servers in the pool in the physical machine or virtual machine, you could not only let some in the physical and some in the virtual machine. Please note about this. 

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, November 22, 2018 6:17 AM
  • Hi HASB Admin,

Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, November 26, 2018 6:39 AM
  • Based on my research, if you have Standard Edition Server, you need to let the services all completely stopped/the server is shut down and the IP addressing remains the same once the virtual machine is up, you should be fine. You could refer to the similar case. Make sure the IP address is same when the you start the server and the server has been joined to the domain.

I will be making a second attempt at virtualizing the Lync server when I can shutdown the Lync services for the length of time needed to complete the p2v conversion.
    • Edited by HASB Admin Monday, November 26, 2018 5:26 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2018 5:23 PM
  • The issue remains, even after stopped all the Lync services prior to beginning the conversion.

I used MS Virtual Machine Converter 3.1, it succeeded, I installed the Hyper-V component setup disk. Gave it the same IP as the original. Again I left the VM disconnected from the network as a precaution, as it seems too risky to let it talk to our domain.

SOME services do start, these are the ones who do not:
    Lync Server Audio Test Service
    Lync Server Call Park
    Lync Server Conferencing Announcement
    Lync Server Conferencing attendant
    Lync Server Response Group

Also when I open Lync Server Control Panel I get "cannot find appropriate URL, please input URL to connect Lync Server control panel, https://localservername/Cscp

Running SFC /scannow passes with no integrity violations.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 5:28 AM
  • Hi HASB Admin,

Can you Ping the DNS record in your internal DNS zone?

For those services, please try to start it manually and check whether it can be started. In addition, try to run the Step 2 in the Deployment Wizard after you doing those changes then check again.  

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:31 AM
  • I'll be making another attempt this week when I have time. I'll do a full backup to a local USB drive, then restore into a VM.

I'll then boot up the vm in a private lab network.

I'll have a recent duplicate of one of our domain controllers on that same private lab network too.

You know, part of me wonders if it's the Certificate on the Lync server that isn't loading? It's from a local CA. Is there any way to check?

Monday, December 10, 2018 8:26 PM