none
Lync 2010 - Conferencing calls “Call was unsuccessful” RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

Having a bit of a weird issue with conferencing calls which I’m hoping you can help and point me in the right direction

To give a bit of a background on our infrastructure, we are running Lync Server 2010 (All Lync servers are running on windows server 2008 R2) in a hybrid with Skype for business online.

We have 800+ users with 700 of them being on Skype for business online and the other 100 being on Lync Server.

These 100 users who are on Lync Server are still there as they have a requirement for PSTN Phone numbers

The issue is when these 100 users try to organize a conferencing call,

They can arrange the Lync meeting, and send out the invite to users

However, when the organizer tries to join the call, they get a message saying, “Call was unsuccessful” and likewise the user who tries to join the call get a message saying that they are unable to join the conference and the call ends

Normal phone calls from Lync user to a phone and vice versa are working fine

In trying to troubleshoot this issue I noticed that following errors would occur on our Front-End Lync Server whenever a user tried to initiate a conference call

Event 32065, LS USER Services

“Failed to send Http application request to service. Requests for this service will be but if this error continues to occur functionality will be affected.

Url: https://lyncavconf01.domain.com:444/liveserver/avmcu/ Cause: Network related error or destination service being non-functional. Resolution: Ensure that the service is provisioned and functioning correctly. If any network related errors are reported by the service that they are resolved.”

Event 30988, LS USER Services

Event 32065, LS Users Services

Url: https://lyncavconf01.domain.com:444/liveserver/avmcu/
    Cause: Network related error or destination service being non-functional.
    Resolution:
    Ensure that the service is provisioned and functioning correctly. If any network related errors are reported by the service ensure that they are resolved.

Event 30988, LS Users Services

"Sending HTTP request failed. Server functionality will be affected if messages are failing consistently.

Sending the message to https://lyncavconf01.domain.com:444/liveserver/avmcu/ failed. IP Address is 10.*.*.35. Error code is 2F8F. Content-Type is application/cccp+xml. Http Error Code is 0.
    Cause: Network connectivity issues or an incorrectly configured certificate on the destination server. Check the eventlog description for more information.
    Resolution:
    Check the destination server to see that it is listening on the same URI and it has certificate configured for MTLS. Other reasons might be network connectivity issues between the two servers"

I have used the Lync deployment wizard and MMC to verify that the certificates that are assigned are valid on all our Lync servers, especially the front-end and audio and conferencing server and have ensured there are no network connectively issues between these servers

Getting stumped on this one

Any tips on what to check next would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

• Edited by DonallyB Wednesday, August 22, 2018 2:13 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2018 10:05 AM

Answers

• Hi all

Just to give you an update on this issue, I ended up contacting Microsoft about this issue and after a number of troubleshooting steps, i.e checking services, making sure Lync 2010 was up to date.

The issue ended up being that the conference attendant service had become corrupted on the FE and director server so the following steps were done:

• Disabled Conferencing and PSTN Conferencing from the Topology.
    • Published the Topology.
    • Uninstalled Conferencing and PSTN Conferencing on the Front End and the Director Server
    • Enabled Conferencing and PSTN Conferencing again in the Topology.
    • Installed  Conferencing and PSTN Conferencing on the Front End and Director.
    • Installed the Updates on the Front End server and Director.

After this was done conferencing started to work again for our users

• Proposed as answer by Neeranjan Shettar Wednesday, September 26, 2018 5:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by DonallyB Monday, October 22, 2018 2:45 PM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2018 12:41 PM

All replies

• I have a feeling that your frontend servers have some issue in establishing the connectivity with your Backend server. Can you check the connectivity between frontend and backend servers in first place ?. Check the connectivity from each frontend server.
    • You should give full permission to the Network service Account on all the drive on the backend server.
    • Run the command Enable-CsComputer on each frontend servers.
    • If the above steps doesn't help, try rebooting the frontend servers one by one.

Neeranjan Shettar (MyPage)

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 10:57 AM
  • @Neeranjan

Thanks for your suggestions

We have a single Front-end server and I checked the following:

Checked the connectivity from the frontend server.

Ran the command Enable-CsComputer on the frontend server used the verbose switch
    In the end, I did a full reboot of the FE server
    I have moved my own back from Skype for Business on-line to Lync 2010 On-premise to troubleshoot it more

Still getting these errors when I try to initiate a conf call

Failed to send Http application request to service. Requests for this service will be retried but if this error continues to occur functionality will be affected.

Event 32065, LS Users Services

Url: https://lyncavconf01.domain.com:444/liveserver/avmcu/
    Cause: Network related error or destination service being non-functional.
    Resolution:
    Ensure that the service is provisioned and functioning correctly. If any network related errors are reported by the service ensure that they are resolved.

Event 30988, LS Users Services

Sending HTTP request failed. Server functionality will be affected if messages are failing consistently.

Sending the message to https://lyncavconf01.domain.com:444/liveserver/avmcu/ failed. IP Address is 10.*.*.35. Error code is 2F8F. Content-Type is application/cccp+xml. Http Error Code is 0.
    Cause: Network connectivity issues or an incorrectly configured certificate on the destination server. Check the eventlog description for more information.
    Resolution:
    Check the destination server to see that it is listening on the same URI and it has certificate configured for MTLS. Other reasons might be network connectivity issues between the two servers

• Edited by DonallyB Wednesday, August 22, 2018 1:39 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2018 1:05 PM
  • Hi DonallyB,

According to your description, this may the certificate issue, I suggest you could try to run Get-Childitem cert:\LocalMachine\root -Recurse | Where-Object {$_.Issuer -ne $_.Subject} | Format-List * | Out-File "c:\computer_filtered.txt" command to check whether the certificate stored incorrectly on the local computer. If the export txt has content, it shows have some issues with certificate.

You could also try to check whether there’re any Tripartite software installed in the FE server. You could also try to reset the registrar by running Reset-CsPoolRegistrarState -PoolFqdn "atl-cs-001.litwareinc.com" -ResetType FullReset command, then check whether fix this issue.

In addition, I suggest you need to check the connectivity between FE Server and backend SQL Server again, you could run Test-CsDatabase command to check about this.

Best Regard,
    Evan
    Thursday, August 23, 2018 5:29 AM
  • Hi DonallyB,

Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regard,
    Evan
    Friday, August 24, 2018 1:26 AM
  • @Evan87

Thanks a million for coming back to me with your recommendations

So for the PowerShell commands you sent me:

• CsPoolRegistrarState -PoolFqdn      "atl-cs-001.litwareinc.com" -ResetType FullReset
    • Test- CsDatabase

These aren't applicable as I'm running Lync 2010 and these are for Lync 2013

I did run the following: Get-Childitem cert:\LocalMachine\root -Recurse | Where-Object {$_.Issuer -ne $_.Subject} | Format-List * | Out-File "c:\computer_filtered.txt" on my Front-end server and Audio and conferencing server and got back a blank txt file

However, I decided to run these commands on the rest of the Lync servers and on my Edge server and Directory Lync servers I got the following:

Edge server:

PSPath               :Microsoft.PowerShell.Security\Certificate::LocalMachine\root\DEA5120097B906750FBAE346F0B7C61338D

B976F

PSParentPath         : Microsoft.PowerShell.Security\Certificate::LocalMachine\root

PSChildName          : DEA5120097B906750FBAE346F0B7C61338DB976F

PSDrive              : Cert

PSProvider           : Microsoft.PowerShell.Security\Certificate

PSIsContainer        : False

EnhancedKeyUsageList : {}

DnsNameList          : {}

SendAsTrustedIssuer  : False

Archived             : False

Extensions           : {System.Security.Cryptography.Oid, System.Security.Cryptography.Oid,

System.Security.Cryptography.Oid, System.Security.Cryptography.Oid...}

FriendlyName         :

IssuerName           : System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X500DistinguishedName

NotAfter             : 18/08/2014 18:51:44

NotBefore            : 18/08/2012 18:31:44

HasPrivateKey        : False

PrivateKey           :

PublicKey            : System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.PublicKey

RawData              : {48, 130, 7, 36...}

SerialNumber         : 158F8CD1000000000004

SubjectName          : System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X500DistinguishedName

SignatureAlgorithm   : System.Security.Cryptography.Oid

Thumbprint           : DEA5120097B906750FBAE346F0B7C61338DB976F

Version              : 3

Handle               : 465986832

Issuer               : CN=CORP-RCA-01, DC=domain, DC=com

Subject              : CN=CORP-CA-01, DC=domain, DC=com

PSPath               : Microsoft.PowerShell.Security\Certificate::LocalMachine\root\B9B4C7A488C0885EC1C83AA87E4EBD2B215

F9FA4

PSParentPath         : Microsoft.PowerShell.Security\Certificate::LocalMachine\root

PSChildName          : B9B4C7A488C0885EC1C83AA87E4EBD2B215F9FA4

Extensions           : {System.Security.Cryptography.Oid, System.Security.Cryptography.Oid,

FriendlyName         :

IssuerName           : System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X500DistinguishedName

NotAfter             : 30/05/2020 11:48:38

NotBefore            : 16/04/2010 01:00:00

PrivateKey           :

RawData              : {48, 130, 4, 252...}

SerialNumber         : 1690C329B6780607511F05B0344846CB

SubjectName          : System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X500DistinguishedName

Thumbprint           : B9B4C7A488C0885EC1C83AA87E4EBD2B215F9FA4

Handle               : 465987472

Issuer               : CN=AddTrust External CA Root, OU=AddTrust External TTP Network, O=AddTrust AB, C=SE

Subject              : CN=COMODO High-Assurance Secure Server CA, O=COMODO CA Limited, L=Salford, S=Greater

Manchester, C=GB

PSPath               : Microsoft.PowerShell.Security\Certificate::LocalMachine\root\7A571AC1283CCB610142BD1AD4F93C53490

67EEF

PSChildName          : 7A571AC1283CCB610142BD1AD4F93C5349067EEF

FriendlyName         :

NotAfter             : 17/08/2016 23:16:40

NotBefore            : 18/08/2014 23:16:40

PrivateKey           :

RawData              : {48, 130, 5, 169...}

SerialNumber         : 6E2BFD2500000000000C

Thumbprint           : 7A571AC1283CCB610142BD1AD4F93C5349067EEF

Handle               : 466042704

Issuer               : CN=domain-CORP-DC-02-CA, DC=domain, DC=com

Subject              : CN=con0101.domain.com, OU=IT, O=company, L=*, S=*, C=*

Directory server:

SPath               : Microsoft.PowerShell.Security\Certificate::LocalMachine\root\F5AD0BCC1AD56CD150725B1C866C30AD92E

F21B0

PSChildName          : F5AD0BCC1AD56CD150725B1C866C30AD92EF21B0

FriendlyName         :

NotAfter             : 30/05/2020 11:48:38

NotBefore            : 30/05/2000 11:48:38

PrivateKey           :

RawData              : {48, 130, 5, 116...}

SerialNumber         : 2766EE56EB49F38EABD770A2FC84DE22

Thumbprint           : F5AD0BCC1AD56CD150725B1C866C30AD92EF21B0

Handle               : 465497008

Issuer               : CN=AddTrust External CA Root, OU=AddTrust External TTP Network, O=AddTrust AB, C=SE

Subject              : CN=COMODO RSA Certification Authority, O=COMODO CA Limited, L=Salford, S=Greater Manchester,

C=GB

PSPath               : Microsoft.PowerShell.Security\Certificate::LocalMachine\root\339CDD57CFD5B141169B615FF31428782D1

DA639

PSChildName          : 339CDD57CFD5B141169B615FF31428782D1DA639

FriendlyName         :

NotAfter             : 11/02/2029 23:59:59

NotBefore            : 12/02/2014 00:00:00

PrivateKey           :

RawData              : {48, 130, 6, 8...}

SerialNumber         : 2B2E6EEAD975366C148A6EDBA37C8C07

Thumbprint           : 339CDD57CFD5B141169B615FF31428782D1DA639

Handle               : 465690640

Issuer               : CN=COMODO RSA Certification Authority, O=COMODO CA Limited, L=Salford, S=Greater Manchester,

C=GB

Subject              : CN=COMODO RSA Domain Validation Secure Server CA, O=COMODO CA Limited, L=Salford, S=Greater

Manchester, C=GB

• Edited by DonallyB Friday, August 24, 2018 9:21 AM typos
    Friday, August 24, 2018 9:16 AM
  • Hi DonallyB,

According to your description, I suggest you could try to check the certificate in the Edge, check whether the certificate (internal and external) has already expired. You could also check the Edge certificate’s SN and SAN:

In addition, you could try to check the service in the Edge, check whether all the SFB service are running.

Best Regard,
    Evan

Monday, August 27, 2018 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 11:34 AM
  • Hi all

Just to give you an update on this issue, I ended up contacting Microsoft about this issue and after a number of troubleshooting steps, i.e checking services, making sure Lync 2010 was up to date.

The issue ended up being that the conference attendant service had become corrupted on the FE and director server so the following steps were done:

• Disabled Conferencing and PSTN Conferencing from the Topology.
    • Published the Topology.
    • Uninstalled Conferencing and PSTN Conferencing on the Front End and the Director Server
    • Enabled Conferencing and PSTN Conferencing again in the Topology.
    • Installed  Conferencing and PSTN Conferencing on the Front End and Director.
    • Installed the Updates on the Front End server and Director.

After this was done conferencing started to work again for our users

• Proposed as answer by Neeranjan Shettar Wednesday, September 26, 2018 5:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by DonallyB Monday, October 22, 2018 2:45 PM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2018 12:41 PM
  • Mark this as answered, so that it helps others to quickly identify the solution who have similar issue..

Saturday, October 6, 2018 10:08 AM
  • Mark this as answered, so that it helps others to quickly identify the solution who have similar issue.

Friday, October 19, 2018 7:47 PM