none
unattend Windows Installation should wipe everyting except of one partition RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I used Hyper V to create a Windows image in Audit Mode and Sysprep. The installation of it using the unattend.xml and autounattend.xml files works so far.

Now I have the following scenario / problem: The image should (if everything works with Fog) be installed on computer in classrooms. The computers are from different manufacturers and different models. Therefore, if I understand it correctly, I can only reinstall Windows on every PC. Due to the large number of different PCs, it would be too time-consuming to create a separate image for every Computer-model.

When installing a new image everything should be wiped except of one partition. On this (letter D: Data) is the desktop stored and installed programs that are not needed in every room. The teachers and students like to save their folders and desktops on the desktop. Therefore, this should also be saved.

Unfortunately, I do not know how that can be realized. In Windows SIM, I find only the option that the entire hard drive is deleted. I do not want that. Does it make sense to create the partition in audit mode, or rather using the autounattend.xml file?

Or can I use the UpgradeData Option? When yes, how?

I am very grateful for any help / advice.

Many Greetings

Luka

• Edited by Lugga Saturday, July 6, 2019 11:57 AM
    Saturday, July 6, 2019 11:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Luka,

As your computers come from different manufacturer and with different model, so we should use generalize in Sysprep to delete  computer-specific information. Also it will remove reserved files in desktop. There is not a measure to keep those files in desktop when performing Sysprep.

Why not suggest teachers and students to use One Drive to sync the contents in desktop or their personal data. It would be more convenient for your existing situation.

By the way, we also could try to redirect desktop to data disk rather than system disk.

For more information,  please refer to the link below.

https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-move-desktop-downloads-documents-to-another-drive-in-windows-10/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Bests,  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Joy-QiaoModerator Monday, July 8, 2019 6:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lugga Monday, August 12, 2019 10:09 AM
    Monday, July 8, 2019 6:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Luka,

As your computers come from different manufacturer and with different model, so we should use generalize in Sysprep to delete  computer-specific information. Also it will remove reserved files in desktop. There is not a measure to keep those files in desktop when performing Sysprep.

Why not suggest teachers and students to use One Drive to sync the contents in desktop or their personal data. It would be more convenient for your existing situation.

By the way, we also could try to redirect desktop to data disk rather than system disk.

For more information,  please refer to the link below.

https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-move-desktop-downloads-documents-to-another-drive-in-windows-10/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Bests,  

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Joy-QiaoModerator Monday, July 8, 2019 6:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lugga Monday, August 12, 2019 10:09 AM
    Monday, July 8, 2019 6:45 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Bests,

Saturday, July 13, 2019 11:52 AM
  • Are these computers with a single disk or multiple disks?

In any case, this type of install would probably not be done using Windows Setup, rather scripted diskpart and DISM instead. The partition being a concern, probably would use USMT on original system, and copy data off that partition to a network share. Clean disk, recreate partitions, image OS and copy data back.

Monday, July 15, 2019 7:10 PM
  • Hello,

and sorry for the late response.

Right now I have a working scenario:

First of all, thank you for the link. I have created a additional partition. On this Partition I moved the desktop, downloads, picture,... folders. I also created an program-folder.

For now a week we use FOG to manage the computers. After sysprep is completed I create an image and upload it. Then I can deploy the image to another computer. The good thing: I can also only deploy one partion (here C:).

It looks like it works, but there is one little problem left:

After deploy a new image to a computer and reset only the C: partition, the Windows search does not find the programs on the other partiton.

Best regards

Luka

• Edited by Lugga Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:08 PM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:06 PM
  • Hi Luka,

Thank you for your feedback.

For Windows search function, we could try to rebuild the index through index option panel with advanced tab.

Bests,

Sunday, July 21, 2019 3:02 PM
  • Hi Luka,

Thank you for your feedback.

For Windows search function, we could try to rebuild the index through index option panel with advanced tab.

Bests,

Hi,

thank you for your help.

Is there any way to this with a script? So I can run it with the SetupComplete.cmd file? This would be the best solutuion for me.

Best regards,

Luka

Monday, August 12, 2019 10:08 AM
  • Hi Luka,

if you set the SetupCompletedSuccessfully from 1 to 0 under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search

& restart the Windows Search Service

it will rebuild the index with default values

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search" /v SetupCompletedSuccessfully /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    net stop wsearch
    net start wsearch

Hope this helps,

Erik Moreau

• Edited by Erik MoreauMVP Monday, August 12, 2019 10:26 AM added script
    • Proposed as answer by Erik MoreauMVP Monday, August 12, 2019 10:28 AM
    Monday, August 12, 2019 10:17 AM