none
Windows 10 v1809 - Layout Modification / Start Menu /Taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• I have a layout modification (bin file) with start layout and taskbar layout information. I have ran the following command to import the file via powershell: import-startlayout -Layoutpath xxxxx\startmenu.bin -MountPath C:\

There were no errors when running this command however my startmenu and/or taskbar does not apply my changes. I have this import set as a SCCM task sequence which runs without error, but no changes to start menu or taskbar. To test on a single machine I have ran this manually on a workstation however no changes after successful import.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Below is my layout modification:

<LayoutModificationTemplate xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout"
    xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout" Version="1" 
    xmlns:taskbar="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/TaskbarLayout"
    xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification">
      <LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" />
      <DefaultLayoutOverride>
        <StartLayoutCollection>
          <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6">
            <start:Group Name="Office 2016 Apps">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Access 2016.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Excel 2016.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Word 2016.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\OneNote 2016.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\PowerPoint 2016.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook 2016.lnk" />
            </start:Group>
            <start:Group Name="Tools">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\Task Manager.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\Command Prompt.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\Run.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows PowerShell\Windows PowerShell.lnk" />
            <start:Group Name="Accessories">
              <start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\Control Panel.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Snipping Tool.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk" />
              <start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2" AppUserModelID="windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\computer.lnk" />
            <start:Group Name="Browsers">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk" />
          </defaultlayout:StartLayout>
        </StartLayoutCollection>
      </DefaultLayoutOverride>
    <CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection PinListPlacement="Replace">
          <defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
            <taskbar:TaskbarPinList>
              <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows System\File Explorer.lnk" />
              <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk" />
              <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" />
              <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook 2016" />
            </taskbar:TaskbarPinList>
          </defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
        </CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection>
    </LayoutModificationTemplate>

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 9:20 AM

All replies

• I was under the impression that Win10 no longer supported .bin versions of the LayoutModification file.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/startlayout/import-startlayout?view=win10-ps

"In Windows 10, the Export-StartLayout cmdlet exports layouts as .xml files, and the Import-StartLayoutcmdlet imports only .xml files."

Also, you may know this, but it will only apply to *new* users, not existing ones.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

At first, we should import the start layout file to a mounted image rather than a running system as I noticed you import into C drive.

Import-StartLayout -LayoutPath "Layout.bin" -MountPath "E:\MountedImage\"

Second, as you are using Windows 10 1809, we should use .xml to replace .bin file. For the reason, please see the public official states.

In Windows 10, the Export-StartLayout cmdlet exports layouts as .xml files, and the Import-StartLayoutcmdlet imports only .xml files.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 11:07 AM
  • Thank you for your answers; however this is not the issue. I decided to remove the Taskbarlayout out of the startlayout xml file and SCCM is able to apply the XML file however the buttons does not come out correctly.

As you can see from my code above their should be 4 sections with buttons in each section, however it is not applied correctly. Anyway, I have decided to leave the buttons as default because I can't figure this out.

See picture.

Sunday, July 14, 2019 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

Because "DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Access 2016.lnk" />"

So please check if the corresponding shortcut located in "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". Then check the symptom again. Also check the other application which is not shown in start menu.

Bests,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, July 21, 2019 12:31 PM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result.
    If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Bests,

Monday, July 29, 2019 1:44 AM