How does O365 handle SIP for AD users missing SIP address RRS feed

• Question

• HI All,

I was trying to find some information on how O365 Skype Online handles the SIP address for users who have no SIP address set on their local AD object. 

E.g.

We have a AD Sync to AAD, set up a hybrid to O365 and when we set a license to an user he is able to use skype as expected. Now, when I try to look up for SIP address I don't see this on AAD object (there is also none on premises of course). Is there any documentation on how this is handled and is it recommended to add SIP as proxy on all ad users objects? 

Now we have UPN matching SMTP and there is no problem to add SIP to is (UPN=SMTP=SIP), only I want to understand why this should be done when no local skype is used. Can it hurt if no SIP is added ?

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 3:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When you add the Skype for Business Online feature to a user it will get the same SIP address as the SignIn address (UPN). It should also add the sip address to ProxyAddresses.

It will not set any attributes to your on-prem Active Directory. If you have prepared your AD Schema for Lync/Skype you can set the msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress attirbute to sip:firstname.lastname@domain.com and/or you can set the same value to the proxyAddresses attribute.

If you have an Skype for Business Hybrid you should activate your users in Skype for Business on-prem and move them to Skype for Business Online.

• Marked as answer by Nopke Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:08 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2018 9:39 PM
  • Hi Nopke,

Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When you add the Skype for Business Online feature to a user it will get the same SIP address as the SignIn address (UPN). It should also add the sip address to ProxyAddresses.

It will not set any attributes to your on-prem Active Directory. If you have prepared your AD Schema for Lync/Skype you can set the msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress attirbute to sip:firstname.lastname@domain.com and/or you can set the same value to the proxyAddresses attribute.

If you have an Skype for Business Hybrid you should activate your users in Skype for Business on-prem and move them to Skype for Business Online.

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 9:39 PM
  • Hi Linus, Thank you for you reply. As you alteady have noted, I expect also a SIP address tocbe added to proxy (matching UPN). However this is not the case and missing when i look up the proxyaddresses of AAD user. There is no onprem Skype enviorment for this location (BU), when I license an user with skype feature he is able to use it (as expected). Only what I'm wondering is why the SIP address is missing. I though this would be added as well , but unfortunately this is not. Because of this, I decided to add on all ad objects (on prem) SIP address matchiing UPN. Any idea why SIP is not added automatically to AAD user?
    Tuesday, November 27, 2018 9:48 PM
  • Hi Nopke,

When we do the Skype for Business 2015 Hybrid configuration, we need to enable the shared SIP domain. Shared address space will share the sip domain between Online and On-Prem. In this process, admin can configure both the domain as shared address space or you can merge to single domain and make that as shared address space. 

You could refer to the following blog to find the details about this: Step-By-Step: Skype for Business 2015 Hybrid Configuration

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 6:47 AM
  • Hi Evan,

thank you for a reply. From this location no onprem Skype is used as noted. Just wondering why no SIP address is added to proxy field of AAD user by Skype Online when enabling this feature. 

If no SIP is added to AD object, Skype Online should do this automatically using UPN value right? I don't see SIP address on this AAD object.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 7:36 AM
  • Hi Nopke,

You could refer to the following official document to do some references: Considerations for Skype for Business Online when you change an Office 365 sign-in address

According to the official document, when a user’s Office 365 sign-in address(UPN) is changed, the Skype for Business Online (formerly Lync Online) SIP address for the user is automatically synchronized. If the Office 365 organization is using Directory Synchronization and has or previously had a Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Lync Server 2010, or Lync Server 2013 deployment on-premises, the SIP Address can be updated independently by populating the msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress value in Active Directory.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Friday, November 30, 2018 6:40 AM
  • Hi Nopke,

Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:14 AM
  • Hi Evan, yes this clarifies :)
    Friday, December 7, 2018 2:50 PM
  • Hi Nopke,

If the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:01 AM