none
Lync Server installation drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

is it possible to install Lync Server in a drive other than C: ? I am not able to figure out the way to do this, in particular when trying to install the Server (after having the topology published).

Thanks in advance!

Roberto

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:46 AM

Answers

• I don't believe the wizard gives you the option of selecting an install location. The only way I know of to select the drive would be to manually run the commands that the wizard runs and change the parameters - this is not a documented installation method.

Mike

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks

MCITP: Lync, Exchange 2010 & Server Administrator

Designing Lync Blog

View Michael Brophy's profile on LinkedIn

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Roberto,

When you initially install the Lync components it should prompt you where to install the core components.  If you change this it should install to that location.  Although it might be worth leaving the defaults as future updates\patches will most likely look for the default path that the app should be installed under.

Thanks,

Richard

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Hi Richard

and thank you for replying. I installed core components in a drive other than C:, but then when I run the first step of Lync installation (after publishing the topology) the installation process seems to use C: and do not ask me a location (wizard titled "Configure Local Replica of Central Management Store").

Roberto

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 10:12 AM
  • I don't believe the wizard gives you the option of selecting an install location. The only way I know of to select the drive would be to manually run the commands that the wizard runs and change the parameters - this is not a documented installation method.

Mike

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks

MCITP: Lync, Exchange 2010 & Server Administrator

Designing Lync Blog

View Michael Brophy's profile on LinkedIn

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Ah not so good Roberto.  In that case I would stick to the defaults unless there is a major need to change where it is installed.  I know it's not usually best practices to install on the same volume as the OS but unless you have a specific disk setup, in regards to RAID config, to optimise disk I\O there's not really a great benefit from changing the install location.  Why do ou want to change it?

Thanks,

Richard

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 1:51 PM
  • I need to install it on a server machine whose configuration where a-priori decided by a customer following some internal guidelines, and he does not intend to change the configuration.

However thank you all for the replies!

Roberto

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:02 PM