none
How to add custom keyboard shortcuts in Outlook?

Question

• Hi, Guys

I want to add a keyboard shortcut of strikethrough in Outlook. But I can only find some posts about how to add it in Word. I know we can add shortcut in Word Options -> Customize Ribbon. However, I can't find same feature in Outlook Options -> Customize Ribbon. On the other hand, it seem don't has Macros Record feature in Outlook.

How to add custom shortcuts in Outlook?

Regards,

Kaiyuanl

• Edited by kaiyuanl Friday, August 10, 2012 8:57 AM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 8:54 AM

Answers

• No, both these features are indeed not available in Outlook.

You can however add the strikethrough command to the QAT so that you can use the ALT+# keyboard shortcut. For instance, if it is the 5th command in the QAT, use ALT+5

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

• Marked as answer by kaiyuanl Sunday, August 12, 2012 5:21 AM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Even though Outlook and Word now use the same rendering engine, they have a completely different history and Outlook has a lot more functionality than just creating emails. With that, Outlook is from a technical perspective much more complex than Word. Each Form/Inspector (new mail, received mail, contact, appointment, meeting, etc...) in Outlook have its own set of features and buttons. While it would be technically possible to create a custom keyboard shortcut mapping in Outlook, it's not a high priority feature request at the moment. Also, this could lead to inconsistency throughout the application where a feature is mapped to different shortcuts for different forms.

The same is true for recording macros in Outlook. However, for a large part, you could record a macro in Word and then bring over the VBA code to Outlook. Most text manipulating macros will work without the need for customization especially when you add a reference to the Microsoft Word Object Library.

Monday, August 13, 2012 7:24 AM

All replies

• No, both these features are indeed not available in Outlook.

You can however add the strikethrough command to the QAT so that you can use the ALT+# keyboard shortcut. For instance, if it is the 5th command in the QAT, use ALT+5

• Marked as answer by kaiyuanl Sunday, August 12, 2012 5:21 AM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Thanks for your help!

Do you know the reason why Outlook is designed like this rather like Word included customiz shortcuts and macros record?

Sunday, August 12, 2012 5:24 AM
  • Even though Outlook and Word now use the same rendering engine, they have a completely different history and Outlook has a lot more functionality than just creating emails. With that, Outlook is from a technical perspective much more complex than Word. Each Form/Inspector (new mail, received mail, contact, appointment, meeting, etc...) in Outlook have its own set of features and buttons. While it would be technically possible to create a custom keyboard shortcut mapping in Outlook, it's not a high priority feature request at the moment. Also, this could lead to inconsistency throughout the application where a feature is mapped to different shortcuts for different forms.

The same is true for recording macros in Outlook. However, for a large part, you could record a macro in Word and then bring over the VBA code to Outlook. Most text manipulating macros will work without the need for customization especially when you add a reference to the Microsoft Word Object Library.

Monday, August 13, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Thanks for your excellent explain!
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:40 AM
  • This works for me. I needed a way to quickly "Check Names" when sending mail.
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 12:26 PM
  • "While it would be technically possible to create a custom keyboard shortcut mapping in Outlook, it's not a high priority feature request at the moment."

The keyboard is faster than the mouse.

The ribbon wastes screen space and encourages mouse use.

Office 2016 is worse than Office 2003.

Example: for the everyday task conducted millions of times each day by millions of users, "attach a file to an email"

2003: Ctrl-H - half a second

2016: Mouse action - pop out. Mouse action - insert. Mouse action - attach file. Five seconds (and some 'remember how you do this' time OR look up how to do it time).

Does Microsoft want users to be less productive?

IMO Microsoft's priorities here are wrong as is its attitude ("users have to use the mouse and the ribbon; we know what's best")

Google is slowly improving google docs. That will be the death of Office, and it can't come soon enough.

Saturday, June 18, 2016 11:39 PM
  • To do this in about 2 seconds:

Press Alt, I, N, A, F

(Don't hold Alt down.)

And yes, I agree, it's ludicrous.  The keyboard is far faster than the mouse.

Friday, July 15, 2016 12:55 PM
  • Unfortunately the keyboard shortcuts are messed up in the German version of Outlook 2016. If you press ALT+R (which should be the shortcut for the Sta(R)t Ribbon, as it is also displayed on the screen) it triggers the reply function of the currently selected email! What a mess! Where can I report this kind of bugs? thank you, Christoph
    Monday, September 19, 2016 8:28 AM