none
Auto-Populate Distribution Groups in SFB 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to auto-populate distribution groups in Skype For Business 2016? My supervisor is saying that the groups should auto-populate in the SFB 2016 client contact list. But non of the 10 groups are showing up in any of the SFB 2016 client contacts lists for any of the users at the company except for my supervisor and 2 other users. I read online that the distribution groups do not auto-populate but he insists that they do auto-populate. Please advise!
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:08 PM

Answers

• Hi muaythai,

By my research, distribution group will not be auto-populated in Skype for business 2016 client, it is by design, thanks for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by muaythai4688 Wednesday, February 1, 2017 7:46 PM
    Friday, January 27, 2017 2:34 AM
  • It depends on what you mean by "auto-populate".  If you mean that those distribution groups will automatically be added to a users contact list, then no, they won't be automatically added.  If you mean that once you add the distribution list to your contact list that the users don't appear when you expand the group, then that is an issue with the distribution list expansion service on the server.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 2:18 PM

All replies

• Hi muaythai,

By my research, distribution group will not be auto-populated in Skype for business 2016 client, it is by design, thanks for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 27, 2017 2:34 AM
  • We have Lync 2013 Client as well and it is not auto populating the groups. When we upgraded our Lync 2013 server to Skype for Business 2015 server, both Lync 2013 and Skype 2016 client are not auto-populating the groups. Do you think it is because of the server upgrade?
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 10:02 PM
  • It depends on what you mean by "auto-populate".  If you mean that those distribution groups will automatically be added to a users contact list, then no, they won't be automatically added.  If you mean that once you add the distribution list to your contact list that the users don't appear when you expand the group, then that is an issue with the distribution list expansion service on the server.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 2:18 PM
  • I meant auto-populate and thank you for the advice! Just one more question. I created a DISTRIBUTION GROUP in Active Directory and enabled it to show in the Skype contact list by adding the email attribute field in the properties of the Distribution Group Contact. When I add the group to skype, the group is displaying the email attribute from the AD contact (test_Skype_Dist@domain.com) instead of displaying the shorthand name. When I add other groups to the contact list ex: Billing_Grp_Dist@domain.com, the contact displays as just simply Billing. How can I get the test_skype_dist group to display just the name (Skype Group) when I add the group to my contact list in Skype for Business 2016 client?
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 7:45 PM
  • Hi, 

This could be just the replication delay or  in complete Address book download for the users . If you want the users to have a fresh address book to be updated then you can  go with the following commands that can help 

Here are some suggestions.

a.  Navigate to  “X:\share\1-WebServices-1\ABfiles\000000000\000000000” folder, copy them to another folder and delete the files within this folder.

b. Run Update-CsUserDataBase to force Back-End to re-read all the user-related information stored in Active Directory Domain Services.

c. Run Update-CsAddressBook  and then check if the new files are generated.

d. Delete local cache files on client computer.

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync\sip_UserName@Domain.comRegistry Key:HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync\UserName@Domain.com

e. Sign in Lync to see whether the client is able to download the offline file.

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:09 AM
  • I'm a bit confused because the name of the DISTRIBUTION GROUP in AD is called billing_grp_dist@domain.com but in Skype and lync client when I add that group it displays as just "Billing". How is this possible? When I look in the properties for the Dist Group in AD I do not see a field with the word "Billing" in it. And I know the address book pulls it's information from AD when you set up the server. So how is it possible it is only showing "Billing"? Also in my GAL in outlook it shows a dist group "Billing" but I don't think that has anything to do with the issue.
    <----How group displays in Active Directory.

<-----How group displays in Skype/Lync clients.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 5:38 PM
  • Do you have any other DL with the similar name ? , Lync takes the display name  and the same for Exchange , can you cross check the group which you saw in outlook with the same name  might be  similar one. you can expand the group and see the member group matches. 

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

Friday, February 3, 2017 12:01 PM
  • As far as I can see there is only 1 billing Distribution Group in our Active Directory. But when I check the GAL in Outlook, it has all the same names. But I tested and added a test Dist Group to our O365, when I checked the GAL in Outlook the new Dist Group was in there. But the name change did not take effect for the Dist Group listed in my contact list in Lync 2013. So I don't think the display name in the Outlook GAL has anything to do with it. I believe someone before me used a tool called LyncAddContacts which lets you export and import contact lists into other people's profiles through Active Directory. So the guy must have created groups EX: Billing and added the contact list to the Dist Group Billing_User_Dist in Active Directory. What do you think? Does that make sense?
    Friday, February 3, 2017 4:42 PM