RDP into hyper-v image on W2008 Server R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a procedure around for how to use RDP, instead of the hyper-v console, to get into a VM? I found this article, but it seems all it does is set the settings on the hosts machines remote desktop client.

http://itproctology.blogspot.com/2008/07/remoting-devices-into-hyper-v-child.html

From what I understand, I need to do a couple of things:

1. Log into the VM and add an adapter and change it's settings to some static IP address.

2. In the Virtualization Network manager have more than one adapter for this VM connection.

I'm not sure how far off base I am with it but I can't seem to find a clear set of instructions for doing this.

Thanks!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:01 PM

Answers

• If you want to use RDP, - use RDP. Hyper-V Manager uses VMconnect.exe default on port 2179 to connect to the host and further RDP to the guest/VM.

VMconnect.exe does not allow you to use local resources, so you should RDP directly to your guest for supporting this.

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:12 PM
  • Hi,

The article you mentioned is about remoting devices into a Hyper-V guest virtual machine, not remote desktop into the VM.

With Hyper-V, you can remote desktop to the Hyper-V host machine and then start Hyper-V Manager to manage the VMs, you can also start Hyper-V Manager on a client computer such as Windows 7 to manage the VMs remotely. However, both the methods are Hyper-V Manager involved.

If you want to exclude the Hyper-V Manager(actually, you can’t exclude it completely), you have to configure the VM(network adapter, IP address and etc) properly in Hyper-V Manager, then you can remote desktop into the VMs directly, just think they are normal physical computers in you environment.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:05 AM

All replies

• If you want to use RDP, - use RDP. Hyper-V Manager uses VMconnect.exe default on port 2179 to connect to the host and further RDP to the guest/VM.

VMconnect.exe does not allow you to use local resources, so you should RDP directly to your guest for supporting this.

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:12 PM
  • Hi,

The article you mentioned is about remoting devices into a Hyper-V guest virtual machine, not remote desktop into the VM.

With Hyper-V, you can remote desktop to the Hyper-V host machine and then start Hyper-V Manager to manage the VMs, you can also start Hyper-V Manager on a client computer such as Windows 7 to manage the VMs remotely. However, both the methods are Hyper-V Manager involved.

If you want to exclude the Hyper-V Manager(actually, you can’t exclude it completely), you have to configure the VM(network adapter, IP address and etc) properly in Hyper-V Manager, then you can remote desktop into the VMs directly, just think they are normal physical computers in you environment.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:05 AM