none
Server 2012 USN Rollback RRS feed

• Question

• Ok - I've been looking everywhere for an answer and no luck yet. Hoping to find one here without suffering too much abuse ha ha.

We have a lab setup where we are running virtualized Server 2012 DCs. We have a parent domain and child domains and configured the child domain DC's HDDs as independent non-persistent. The child domain DCs have student access so our reasoning was if the child domain DC gets corrupted we restart, allow a rebuild and carry on.

The child domain DC was shutdown and restarted (which essentially reverted it to a snapshot) and that put the DC into a rollback condition :(

My understanding was that a server 2012 DC on a new vSphere platform could recover from snapshot rollback??

There is only one DC in each of the child domains. Am I correct in assuming the rollback happened because there was not a second DC in the child domain to replicate from? Can a child domain DC fully replicate from a parent domain DC?

Sunday, June 16, 2019 2:37 PM

All replies

• A shutdown / restart would not normally cause this. Either case if you're using older FRS you can follow along here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/290762/using-the-burflags-registry-key-to-reinitialize-file-replication-servi

or for DFSR follow along here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2218556/how-to-force-an-authoritative-and-non-authoritative-synchronization-fo

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, June 16, 2019 3:59 PM
  • Hello,
    Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

Here are the answers for our question:

Q1: My understanding was that a server 2012 DC on a new vSphere platform could recover from snapshot rollback??
    A1: If recovering AD from snapshot is supported by Microsoft, we can recover AD successfully. If recovering AD from snapshot is not supported by Microsoft, we can not recover AD from a server 2012 DC on a new vSphere platform.

Q2: There is only one DC in each of the child domains. Am I correct in assuming the rollback happened because there was not a second DC in the child domain to replicate from? Can a child domain DC fully replicate from a parent domain DC?
    A2: See A1. No, DCs in the child domain and DCs in the parent domain are in different domains, they will not replicate from each other. DCs in the same domain will replicate from each other.

Do we have AD backup for DCs in every child domain? If so, we can restore AD from AD backup. Usually, we can back up entire AD or AD system state by Windows backup tool.

How do we know the DC is in the USN rollback condition? Usually, we need to re-install DC if the DC is in USN rollback.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 17, 2019 6:33 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update or is this issue solved? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 12:51 AM
  • Hi,
    Would you please tell me how things are going on your side. If you have any questions or concerns about the information I provided, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Again thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Friday, June 21, 2019 7:27 AM
  • I'm still fighting with my own understanding of the issue. If a Server 2012 VM is restored to a state approx 1 month previous on an ESXi server running VSphere 6 everything I've  read indicates that the server  should recover much like using a 1 month old system backup ie no USN rollback issues.

This is a lab/classroom environment with  parent domain and a number of child domains. The parent domain kept rolling forward and the child domains were restored after being restarted using an independent non-persistent disk setup (essentially a snapshot restore). Having only one dc in the child domain and reverting to a snapshot will cause loss of info as far as the child domain is concerned (similar to a 1 month old system restore on 1dc) but shouldn't the forest wide info replicate and update?

I'm missing a piece of the puzzle. Why did a restore put us in a USN rollback situation when there are safeguards in place to prevent it? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Sunday, June 23, 2019 11:37 AM
  • Maybe this one helps.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/reference_point/2012/12/10/usn-rollback-virtualized-dcs-and-improvements-on-windows-server-2012/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, June 23, 2019 11:45 AM