Persistent Chat Server Collocation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a doubt about Persistent Chat server collocation. I understand that you can deploy Persistent Chat server on the Standard Edition server, but you cannot on a Enterprise Pool.

Reference:

"Persistent Chat Server can also be deployed with Lync Server 2013 Standard Edition. In this case, the PersistentChatService Front End Server is collocated on the Standard Edition computer, and the PersistentChatStore Back End Server can be deployed on the local SQL Server Express instance."

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj205357.aspx

But... This link say you need to deploy Persistent Chat server on different box, not with STD:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398131.aspx

One of them is wrong I think...

Thanks,

Dario Woitasen | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2007/2010 | MCITP: Lync Server Administrator 2010

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:01 AM

Answers

• It's completely supported to deploy the Persistent Chat database on the same SQL Express instance as your Standard Edition server as you've linked to on TechNet Library.

You should however correctly size the your deployment for the environment including features (Archiving/Monitoring) the number of users you will support and number of chat rooms. If you will be using Persistent Chat heavily, it could be worth separating out the location of those databases to another SQL instance.

Justin Morris | Lync MVP | Senior Consultant | Modality Systems
    Lync Blog - www.justin-morris.net
    Twitter: @justimorris
    If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

• Marked as answer by Dario Woitasen Friday, February 15, 2013 4:26 AM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:24 PM
  • I queried this with Microsoft and got a very quick response from Rick Kingslan at the Technical Documentation Team.

They're aware of the ambiguity in the http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398131.aspx section and are about to update that page by removing the Persistent Chat Server from the roles that must be deployed on a separate server.

• Proposed as answer by xilxyu Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:37 AM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As per my understanding , it's not recommended to collocate persistent chat server on standard edition server on production environment. For POC or test lab , you can deploy persistent chat server on the same standard edtion server.

Thanks

Saleesh

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:38 AM
  • It's completely supported to deploy the Persistent Chat database on the same SQL Express instance as your Standard Edition server as you've linked to on TechNet Library.

You should however correctly size the your deployment for the environment including features (Archiving/Monitoring) the number of users you will support and number of chat rooms. If you will be using Persistent Chat heavily, it could be worth separating out the location of those databases to another SQL instance.

If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:24 PM
  • So is article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398131.aspx incorrect then?

As Dario pointed out it appears to clearly state that the Persistent Chat server must be deployed on a separate computer, where you have a Standard Edition Server Deployment. I'm taking that to mean the Persistent Chat Server role, as opposed to the back end database, so it's causing me some confusion as well.

All other mentions of Persistent Chat collocation state that you can deploy it with Standard Edition Server. The one that Dario referenced, together with the Persistent Chat section of:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/gg425833.aspx

Meanwhile, the issue of where you can install the back end database for Persistent Chat seems to be pretty clear.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:33 PM
  • I queried this with Microsoft and got a very quick response from Rick Kingslan at the Technical Documentation Team.

They're aware of the ambiguity in the http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398131.aspx section and are about to update that page by removing the Persistent Chat Server from the roles that must be deployed on a separate server.

• Proposed as answer by xilxyu Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:37 AM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:00 PM
  • Good stuff. Standard awesome work from Rick. :)

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Regards databases it is clear. I will collocate below databases in a single SQL instance. No Archiving and Compliance requirement.

• Monitoring database
    • Persistent chat database

The FE is on the Std edition Lync Server.

Now, from this blog reading I gather that the Persistent Chat Server can be collocated with the Std edition Lync Server (or) deployed on a separate server. Should this separate server be a Std edition Lync Server or Ent edition Lync Server?

I am reading "Persistent Chat Server on a separate server using Standard Edition server as the next hop server" in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398500

Please let me have your views.

Thanks.

• Edited by shasu2 Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:52 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:49 PM
  • There's no differentiation between Standard or Enterprise Edition for roles other than the Front End server in Lync Server 2013. The install media is the same.

Where that TechNet article says "using Standard Edition server as the next hop" it means that the Standard Edition server is the server your Persistent Chat server connects to.

• Proposed as answer by shasu2 Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:25 AM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 9:39 AM
  • Thanks Justin. That answers it.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:25 AM
  • Thanks Justin and Mark!!

Dario Woitasen | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2007/2010 | MCITP: Lync Server Administrator 2010

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:27 AM