none
Unable to launch published applications from RD Web Access RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to launch published applications from RD Web Access on one client cpu.  The client cpu has a 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise (SP1) operating system.  The RDS server has a 64-bit Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system.  The applications appear after initial web login, but they do not launch when clicking on them.  Task Manager on the RDS server does not show an active session for that client computer.  Running different IE browsers do not solve the issue.  I have also signed on as a different user on the client cpu and still have the same problem.  Any suggestions?
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your posting in Windows Server Forum.

What’s that particular application you are willing to launch on client system?
    Is that application (RemoteApp) working on different system?
    Did you find any particular error\event log for this case?

First of all suggest you to install RDP 8.1 on your client system and then check the result. In addition if it’s any 3rd party application then please check that application is compatible to be act as RemoteApp. Also for a test please check with IE compatibility mode and also enabling Add on for IE. 

Hope it helps!

Thanks,
    Dharmesh
    Monday, March 31, 2014 6:17 AM
  • I am unable to launch any of our published apps from two network computers.  Other network computers are able to launch the published apps.  Both computers are running Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 (64-bit).  Both computers have Internet Explorer 11 as their main primary web browser.  Other computers with the same OS and web browser are able to launch the published apps.  Other computers with a different OS and web browser are able to launch the published apps.  I have tested it with IE in compatibility mode but that does not resolve the issue.  Looks like the issue is isolated to these two computers.  I will try the install of RDP 8.1 on these client systems and will report on the results.  Do you have a link to the site where I can download RDP 8.1?

Monday, April 7, 2014 8:49 PM
  • Installing the RDP 8.1 update on the client systems did not fix the issue.  Is there a setting in services.msc or local policy that needs to be enabled/disabled/adjusted?  We just ran into another computer with this same issue.  We are trying to compare the Microsoft Updates (KB's) from the non-working computers to a working computer with similar architecture.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 8:31 PM
  • Hi,

Can you please let me know, which application you are trying to launch?

This issue occurs because the ActiveX control for the remote desktop connection handles the focus of the RemoteApp active window incorrectly. There is hotfix available for this issue, please try to download and install on effected windows 7 client system & check the result.

RemoteApp application does not work correctly from RD Web Access in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2522762

Hope it helps!

Thanks,
    Dharmesh
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 1:35 AM
  • First image is of the web interface showing the apps that I am trying to launch.  None of them work on the computers having this problem.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:42 PM
  • Second image is of the published applications on the server.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:47 PM
  • The hotfix (KB 2522762) did not install on the computers experiencing this issue.  The message states that the update is not applicable to your computer.
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

Do you get any error in the client machine?

Does rdp works from these client systems to server?

Are they external clients and is there a gateway involved in the setup

Is working and nonworking systems in same subnet?

?

Thursday, April 10, 2014 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

First of all please try to provide “Ramesh” question”, in addition please let us know some more thing for further troubleshooting.

Does this issue occurs with any particular user or for all users on that affected system?
    Have you check the settings related to WMI?

Please check below settings related to WMI (Quoted from beneath thread)
    We use WMI to communicate with the RDSH server. Various issues can cause WMI to deny access or return error codes. Here's a few things you can try:

1.  Check if the "TS Web Access Computers" security group on the RDSH server has incorrect permissions in DCOM and/or WMI:

For checking DCOM security settings:
       1. Start the Component Services MMC snapin
       2. Navigate to Component Services -> Computers -> My Computer
       3. Right-click on My Computer and select properties
       4. Go to the COM Security tab
       5. Under Access Permissions, click the Edit Limits button
       6. Ensure that TS Web Access Computers is in the list, with all of the permissions set to “allow”.
       7. Under Launch and Activation Permissions, click the Edit Limits button
       8. Ensure that TS Web Access Computers is in the list, with all of the permissions set to “allow”.

For checking WMI security settings:
       1. Start the WMI Control MMC snapin
       2. Right-click the WMI Control node and select properties
       3. Go to the Security tab
       4. Navigate to Root->CIMV2->TerminalServices
       5. With TerminalServices selected, click the Security button
       6. Ensure that TS Web Access Computers is in the list with Execute Methods, Enable Account, and Remote Enable set to "allow"

2.  Verify the RD Session Host server's firewall allows WMI calls.
    3. Verify that the RD Connection Broker hasn't lost its trust relationship with the domain.
    4. See if non-RDS related WMI calls can be successfully made to the RDSH server. This can help differentiate between a general WMI issue and an issue calling the RDS WMI provider.

More information:
    RemoteApp Source not working from RDWeb  
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/173d4546-e12f-47c1-ac66-8b4f69826892/remoteapp-source-not-working-from-rdweb

Hope it helps!

Thanks, 
    Dharmesh
    Friday, April 11, 2014 2:20 AM
  • 1) When trying to launch a RemoteApp there aren't any error messages appearing on the client's gui.  Event Viewer does shows a System Warning with Event ID 1085 that states "Windows failed to apply the Remote Desktop Protocol Extension settings."  Not sure if this has any relevance to the issue.

2) Yes.  RDP does work from these client systems to the server.

3) No.  They are internal clients.

4) Yes.  Working and Nonworking systems are in the same subnet.

Friday, April 11, 2014 3:35 PM
  • Did you ever discover the fix for this?

We are just encountering this same issue recently, only with a few windows 7 systems, RDP works fine when launched directly to server. It just seems like an issue with IE not managing the launching of remote app. 

ActiveX related?  Credentials gleaning or permissions related?

Thanks for any help with this mystery.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 9:35 PM
  • Same issue. Ours is working fine for all clients except Windows Server 2012 R2 clients. Does not matter what sort of application is launched, it could be notepad.exe it does not work. If we click the show more option, we can see the login screen working fine, then we see a something like a script start to run and the then nothing but a black screen.

It's crazy to me when I see forums like this, the users answered the 10000 million questions that support asked, then to never hear from them again. I would like a fix, if there is not one, simply say this.

Friday, November 22, 2019 4:18 PM