none
Server 2012 R2 restarted automatically by windows update during working hours RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Our 1 Windows 2012 R2 VM suddenly restarted itself during working hours (10.30 AM), because it automagically installed updates (all june updates: KB4503259, KB4503276, KB45032), ignoring GPO. Noone clicked the "Install updates" button.

GPO is configured like this (download updates, but don't install them, until Administrator doesn't click the magic button):

• Configure automatic updating: 3 - Auto download and notify for install
    • Install during automatic maintenance: Disabled
    • Scheduled install day: 0 - Every day
    • Scheduled install time: 04:00

Info from event log

Restart Required: To complete the installation of the following updates, the computer will be restarted within 15 minutes:

Is it a new update policy on Windows Servers (to force update system, no matter what, as on Windows 10's) or some bug in the update? Or am I missing something important?

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 11:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Please refer to the following link which may help:

https://serverfault.com/questions/877255/automatic-restart-of-windows-server-2012r2-after-windows-update

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:16 AM
  • Hi,
    How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Hurry

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Sunday, June 23, 2019 12:46 PM
  • Hello,

I've enabled NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers policy - but I have question about it.

What will happen, when administrator RDP session is in "disconnected" state?

And 2nd question - what is wrong with the scheduled install time, as it's configured to do at 4AM, but the updates were automatically installed at 10AM?

Monday, June 24, 2019 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

When administrator RDP session is in 'disconnected' state, the system may restarted automatically.

Make sure the time (UTC or not) is correct.

Best regards,

Hurry

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:10 AM
  • Time is 100% correct. SO how fully prevent automatic restart? I want to have full control of it, and don't want unexpected system restart during working hours.
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 10:52 AM
  • The same issue happened again today...System automatically restarted at 10.30 AM. Restarted... because one update was automatically installed and the 15 minutes indicator has popped out.

Friday, June 28, 2019 8:40 AM