none
Database compatibility level and 2 version limit in SQL Server replication RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings, does database compatibility have anything to do with the 2 version limitation in a replication topology? For instances a SQL Server 2008 R2 instance with a publisher having an 80 compatibility level, publisher having a 100 compatibility level, multiple subscribers one having a 120 compatibility level or is that requirement only for the instance database server version?
    Thursday, April 30, 2020 3:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• here is more https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/replication/replication-backward-compatibility?view=sql-server-ver15

The general rules are: 

• A Distributor can be any version as long as it is greater than or equal to the Publisher version (in many cases the Distributor is the same instance as the Publisher).
    • A Publisher can be any version as long as it less than or equal to the Distributor version.
    • Subscriber version depends on the type of publication:
      • A Subscriber to a transactional publication can be any version within two versions of the Publisher version. 

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/ramjaddu

• Marked as answer by Abeljdang Tuesday, May 12, 2020 4:38 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2020 6:50 PM
  • Thanks for the reply but the clarification I am asking for is regarding the database version. Can you have a publisher on a 2008 r2 server running in 80 compatibility with 2014 subscribers? The 2 version run for the sql server version is met, I don't know about the database compatibility. I may just call licensing.
    Monday, May 11, 2020 2:30 PM
  • I spent a few hours on the phone trying to reach someone with SQL knowledge but gave up as none of the representatives knew anything about SQL Server. I think  the scenario I mentioned above is supported as long as the versions of SQL involved are supported since the publisher is within 2 versions of the distributor.
    • Edited by Abeljdang Tuesday, May 12, 2020 3:54 PM details
    Tuesday, May 12, 2020 3:53 PM