none
External partner solution (avoiding installing any software) RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!

Our company is a GOLD MS partner and we would really appreciate for a
    little help.
    In our company we are using LYNC and LYNC EDGE. We have also integrated
    TGM with LYNC, so meet.company.com is reachable from outside world and colleagues
    can connect outside LAN without prior connecting to VPN. Let me stress that
    Lync is a very powerful communication tool and we have about 200 users who are
    very satisfied using it.

Now imagine this scenario:

This is a big plan for our company to make videoconferences with outside
    world.

We would like to involve external partner into LYNC videoconferences. Let
    me stress the meaning of the word "external partners". Let’s say that external
    partner is a person which our sales department met him only once in real time
    and the next time instead of visiting this person again, they wish to have
    a videoconference with him. The most important thing to achieve this is also
    to avoid installing any software. Let’s presume that external partner is a BANK with
    very strict company rules not allowing them installing any software. How can we
    achieve one-click solution for partner to join the videoconference? Ok, I know
    that Lync Attendee exists and I also know that is available in two version: AttendeeSetupAdmin.exe
    and AttendeeSetupUser.exe. Soo I gues this SetupUser.exe would be a right choice
    for this kind of partner with restrict access. But what kind of rights does a user
    need to use SetupUser.exe? Which port LyncAttendee uses? Only 443?

We were thinking about this approach. ,

- We would extract setupuser.exe somewhere on our webpage.

- A sales department person would send external person a Lync invitation thru Outlook (for example meet.company.com/externalMeeting).

- We would like to achieve that Outlook invitation would "kick" user to an extracted point of setupuser.exe file on our webpage and open the meeting.

Please give me some instructions how we can achieve this. Like I said,
    the most important thing is to avoid installing anything.

bostjanc

• Edited by B_C_R Monday, July 23, 2012 8:33 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 8:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Bostjan,

The rights required for a user to installt he Lync Attendant USer level install are basically GPO that administrators to configured a regular user to install specific software.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15755

It is not possible to extract the content and just run the "exe"

And yes it will only use port 443 outbound which is usally open.

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks.

Jean-Philippe Breton | Senior Microsoft Consultant | MCTS, MCITP, MCT, Lync MVP

• Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Monday, July 30, 2012 5:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Wednesday, August 1, 2012 2:05 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:53 PM

All replies

• Hello Bostjan,

If you look outside the box then there is a single global solution available. Blue jeans. You describe the limitation of the Attendee Client and this is not a solution for you, but in future you could use with Wave 15 the Lync Webapp that will be the only one Client for extrenal user with Conferencing functions but until then bluejeans will perhaps help.

http://bluejeans.com/

I have successfully tested the solution in a test phase with Skype and Lync. Access has always been from browser from external user perspective, no any app installation need.

cheers

Octavian 

Monday, July 23, 2012 12:33 PM
  • Well... it does not seems to be what we are looking for because this tools is asking a user to install msi package:

Install Browser plugin

bostjanc

Monday, July 23, 2012 12:39 PM
  • It`s too bad that the plug-in is needed. But at the moment Lync Server 2010 use Lycn WebApp (requirement Silverlight) and Attendee as rich client require msi, in each case you need to install such a king of software components. Solutions based on HTML 5 or other web techniques at the moment aren`t available only LS 2013 supports one-click solution.

Monday, July 23, 2012 1:06 PM
  • What is LS 2013?

Is there a way to extract setupuser.exe and put it somewhere on the web, that client would not need to install and just run the exe? What kind of rights does a user need to run and "install" setupuser.exe of attendee?
    Lync WebApp is not enough, because we need a/v :(

bostjanc

Monday, July 23, 2012 1:30 PM
  • LS2013 = Lync Server 2013!

Since Lync Server 2010 is launched I don`t find a one-click out of the box or over 3rd Party Solution without plug-in / apps installation. In each case you need to run exe or msi File to install the requiret components. In the near future you`ll able to provide you customers with Lync WebApp 2013 to participate on Meeting without additional components.

cheers

Octavian

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:20 AM
  • What kind of rights does a user needs to install setupuser.exe file?
    Is it possible to extract setupuser.exe somewhere on web-folder and someone would just run it and don't need to install it?

bostjanc

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:10 AM
  • Hi Bostjan,

The rights required for a user to installt he Lync Attendant USer level install are basically GPO that administrators to configured a regular user to install specific software.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15755

It is not possible to extract the content and just run the "exe"

And yes it will only use port 443 outbound which is usally open.

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks.

Jean-Philippe Breton | Senior Microsoft Consultant | MCTS, MCITP, MCT, Lync MVP

• Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Wednesday, August 1, 2012 2:05 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Hi,

The permission depends on how the administrators configure the installation permission for the regular user.

There is no specific port for  Lync Attendant. The port depends on the features you require.

You can refer to Required Client Ports in the following link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398833.aspx

Regards,

Kent Huang

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

• Edited by Kent-Huang Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:26 AM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:26 AM