SRV records missing under - msdcs zone->dc->tcp. Machines unable to join domain RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded my 2003 AD to 2012. Its a s , I can see ingle domain single forest structure with 8 sites and 17 DCs. I demoted all old 2003 DCs from the structure except 1 old 2003 DC. Now n/w consists of  16 - 2012 DCs and 1-2003 DC. When i shut down the old 2003 DC , no new machines could be added to domain, saying AD Domian controller could not be found. On thorough check I found that inside msdcs zone->dc->tcp, only kerberos and ldap entry for old 2003 DC only, no other DCs are listed here. How can I solve this issue and safely demote the old 2003 DC

Friday, February 21, 2014 8:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I hope all your DC's are single homed and make sure that "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" check box is not cleared. How the DNS settings are configured in the 2012 DC's?

Try:

ipconfig /flushdns
        ipconfig /renew
        ipconfig /registerdns
        restart netlogon

You may try to restarting NETLOGON and DNS service on DC to recreate missing SRV records. Verify that the DC is trying to register the correct records. To do this, stop the "Netlogon" service on the DC and then delete the "Netlogon.dnb" & "Netlogon.dns" fiies located in the %systemroot%\System32\Config folder . Then start the netlogon service. Verify that the "Netlogon.dns" file contains the correct SRV records & verify that these records have been updated in DNS.

Troubleshooting SRV Record Registration

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15223.troubleshooting-srv-record-registration.aspx

If you still face issue, post the ipconfig /all from the 2003 DC and few 2012 DC's to proceed further.

Regards,
    Rafic

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote.
    If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

• Edited by iamrafic Friday, February 21, 2014 8:44 AM additional info added
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:35 AM
    Friday, February 21, 2014 8:33 AM
  • All my DCs are single homed. I restarted Netlogon, ram nltest /dsregdns. Register this connection address in DNS check mark is there.

How long it may take to recreate srv records in DNS if I restart netlogon.

Friday, February 21, 2014 9:03 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have any updates on this issue by now?

More information for you:

server 2008 srv records missing

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/d392c907-623e-47c5-aaa8-5889a0563243/server-2008-srv-records-missing?forum=winservergen

PDC SRV record missing in DNS - Howto recreate

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/9773e7fd-7b53-4ec2-a619-287d93105200/pdc-srv-record-missing-in-dns-howto-recreate?forum=winserverDS

Please feel free to let us know if the issue persists.

Best Regards,

Amy Wang

• Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:35 AM
    Monday, February 24, 2014 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

It has been a while since the last time we heard from you, so I assume this issue is solved by now.

I will mark replies as answers, please feel free to unmark them if they are not helpful, and we will be happy to continuously support you.

Have a nice day!

Amy Wang

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:35 AM