none
What is PIN in lync 2010?

Question

• How set PIN/Lock and Unlock.. And how to generate a pin in order to call to different range of ranges like international call?

Monday, October 31, 2011 10:56 AM

Answers

• The Unlock PIN is utilized by Lync Phone Edition devices and is a temporary PIN that is only set by the user each time they sign into one of these phone devices for the first time.  It is only used to unlock the device and is not used for any calling features or to access different usage policies.
    Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP
    • Marked as answer by GreeMann Tuesday, November 01, 2011 3:38 AM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 11:43 AM
  • Lync 2010 utilizes two types of PIN. We have Conference PIN which, used in conjunction of Conference ID, identifies the user as "Authenticated" when joining conference. This PIN is selected by each user by visiting https//dialin.your_domain.tld

There is another PIN (different from the above) which is set by the administrator and is used to sign-in to Lync Phone Edition devices if this feature is enabled and configured in the environment.

What you're asking about is not a feature in Lync 2010. You could control the ability of user or group of users to call particular destination (long distance or international) by creating user policies and assigning them to selected users.

Another way to control the dialing would be if the Service provider set such long distance or international "Access Code" where all users will be prompted to enter it shall the destination match a pattern i.e. starts with 011 in US for example.

Drago

http://www.lynclog.com
    Monday, October 31, 2011 11:51 AM

All replies

• The Unlock PIN is utilized by Lync Phone Edition devices and is a temporary PIN that is only set by the user each time they sign into one of these phone devices for the first time.  It is only used to unlock the device and is not used for any calling features or to access different usage policies.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 11:43 AM
  • Lync 2010 utilizes two types of PIN. We have Conference PIN which, used in conjunction of Conference ID, identifies the user as "Authenticated" when joining conference. This PIN is selected by each user by visiting https//dialin.your_domain.tld

There is another PIN (different from the above) which is set by the administrator and is used to sign-in to Lync Phone Edition devices if this feature is enabled and configured in the environment.

What you're asking about is not a feature in Lync 2010. You could control the ability of user or group of users to call particular destination (long distance or international) by creating user policies and assigning them to selected users.

Another way to control the dialing would be if the Service provider set such long distance or international "Access Code" where all users will be prompted to enter it shall the destination match a pattern i.e. starts with 011 in US for example.

Drago

http://www.lynclog.com
    Monday, October 31, 2011 11:51 AM
  • thanks everyone.
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 3:38 AM
  • Hi Drago,

The PIN that is configured to unlock the LPE device - is this PIN a per-device or a per-user PIN? So if I set up an LPE device for the first time and the Lync policy is set with a phone lock time-out, the first time I sign in to the device it will prompt me to configure a PIN is that correct? If I then sign out and a second user signs in to the phone, will they be prompted to configure their own device unlock PIN or would the one that i configured still persist?

Thanks,

Garry

• Edited by GW999 Friday, November 04, 2011 12:35 PM
    Friday, November 04, 2011 12:34 PM
  • It's per-device.  Everytime a user signs into an LPE device they will be asked to define the unlock PIN.  As soon as a user is signed-out or the device settings are wiped then the unlock PIN is lost along with the rest of the cached user information.  Thus every new sign-in, whether it is a new user or the same user signing-back in, will be prompted to define a new PIN.  The same PIN can be used over and over as there is no PIN history stored.
    • Proposed as answer by GW999 Friday, November 04, 2011 1:14 PM
    Friday, November 04, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Great that answers it - thanks Jeff. Your Blogs are fantastically helpful btw ;-)
    Friday, November 04, 2011 1:14 PM