none
Outlook 2016 message outlook is closing

Question

• Using Surface 3 pro, Windows 10, Office 365, Outlook 2016

While closing outlook, it hung up on a message stating that outlook is closing.  Left the surface running to let it sort itself out.  After allowing several days of sorting itself out, closed outlook with the task manager.

Now the status tray shows me an icon with the outlook is closing message.  Nothing shows up in the task manager.  Tried to start outlook and all I get is an hour glass for 10-20 seconds which disappears and no outlook.  Task manager indicates that nothing is running following that and the outlook is closing icon persists.  Tried clicking outlook holding the control key to see if it would open in a safe mode but got the same hour glass cycle.  All other office programs working normally.

Tried to reach MS Office Support but they wanted $29 to talk to me about my Office 365 product?  WTF is up with that?

How to fix?

• Edited by MikChil Thursday, October 27, 2016 12:52 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 11:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Do you have more than one email accounts set up in the Outlook?

Please first try running a repair of your Office installation and then checking if this issue continues. For your convenience:

https://support.office.com/en-US/Article/Repair-an-Office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b

If above doesn't work, we may also try to create a new Outlook mail profile in Control Panel > Mail and then check if Outlook starts.

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 4:57 PM
  • Fortunately, Office update had some stuff to update so I ran that and it solved the problem. But don't know how I would have solved it if that had not been the case as Outlook would not open at all.
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 8:18 PM
  • Hi Steve:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried the new profile trick in Control Panel but outlook apparently won't open at all if it thinks it is still trying to close itself ... at least that was the deal in my case.

Hadn't thought about the repair trick.. I'll remember that if it ever happens again.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 10:18 PM
  • Glad to hear that the problem has been resolved! Thank you for letting us know that. If you need further assistance or this issue comes back, please feel free to post back. I'll be happen to help.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 5:59 AM
  • Steve Fan, 

I had the very same issue and I did try the repair tool, and it worked spectacularly, although I should mention I went to the control panel, clicked on Apps, found Office 2016 and modified from there. Thanks for the tip.

Matt

• Edited by mgpime Friday, May 24, 2019 10:39 AM
    Friday, May 24, 2019 10:38 AM