none
Skype for business simple URL's disaster management RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone!

I need some advice here on managing simple url's when main FE POOL goes down. in case all simple url's are published towards same pool.

Lets say all simple URL's are currently resolving to external web service of fe pool1

lyncdiscover.contoso.com  ---->>> extwebfepool1.contoso.com
    meet.contoso.com            ---->>> extwebfepool1.contoso.com        
    dialin.contoso.com            ---->>> extwebfepool1.contoso.com

extwebfepool1.contoso.com is a HLB VIP. now HLB will redirect all traffic coming towards same VIP to available front end servers in fe pool1.

Due to any xyz reason fe pool1 goes down. its clear that all simple url's will stop working.
    Is there any way to mitigiate this issue till the time fe pool1 come back live again?
    For small interval, I dont want to change internal and external dns entries towards other available front end pools.
    is there anyting possible we can do at HLB side to tackle this situation?

regards,
    Ajit

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Ajit,

Welcome to our forum.     

Is there second pool in organization?
    Did you mean user could connect to Skype for business when extwebfepool1 goes down?
    Could you give us more details about “Is there any way to mitigiate this issue till the time fe pool1 come back live again”?

If you have second pool in organization, user will be failover to second pool when the first pool goes down. If that, you should do high availability for your Skype for business server, then user will use second pool’s URL instead of the first pool’s URL. When the first pool come back, user will roll back to the first pool, please refer to the following link:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms.lync.plan.highavailabilitytype.aspx

If I misunderstand, please be free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 8:56 AM
  • Hi,
    As a common pratice all of our simple URL's are pointing towards external web servie FQDN of a particular FE pool.
    Now I am taking a scenerio when that particular FE POOL goes down completely. It will surely impact all simple URL's (infact global Lync users).
    Although we have other working FE pools up & running but simple URL's will keep sending requests to non-working FE pool only.
    Since DNS host A record doesnt provide any failback option here.

I am interested to know what all options we can try here from HLB side? Since internal and external web service FQDN of FE pool is resolving to HLB VIP only. later on HLB redirects traffic to FE pool. Or there might be some other supported solution to handle this efficiently.

regards,
    Ajit
    Wednesday, November 30, 2016 12:07 PM
  • Depending on the features available on your HLB, the best option is to use the GSLB/GTM (Global Server Load Balancing) option of the HLB in order to make the simple URL DNS entries highly available.

The other option would be to lower the TTL of those DNS records and then manually change them in the event that the pool was unavailable.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 2:54 PM