none
Communicator: How can I save a list of contacts so that I can a) find them quickly and b) monitor their status RRS feed

• Question

• Communicator only lists people with which you have had a conversation and they are in no apparent order (eg no sorting on last or first name).

This is just plain "pants" and a pain.  You are reduced to wasting time typing in a contact name or reviewing the whole list to find the right contact... which takes up to 5 seconds for me... 

5 seconds x 20 times per day x 75,000 users = 260 man days every DAY and this is just one company 

I need to see everyone in the department in some sort of order as a totality.  We want to use Communicator as the standard but we can't live with the inefficiency.

• Moved by tonysoper_MSFT Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:50 PM wrong forum (From:TechNet Wiki Discussion)
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:04 AM

Answers

• You are probably aware that you can create groups with communicator, you can move the groups up or down in your list. Be aware that for each contact you add your client will subscribe to their status. Your client will be told every time their status changes, every time they go busy, in a meeting, away, offline, on line. Put too many contacts into your client (*75,000 others doing the same) and there could be a lot of fairly useless updating happening.

I would also say that a lot of your communication is in outlook, sharepoint etc. What I mean is if you get an email from someone then it is from outlook that you im them.

Mike

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks

MCITP: Lync, Exchange 2010 & Server Administrator

Designing Lync Blog

View Michael Brophy's profile on LinkedIn

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:03 PM
  • Hi,

You can create groups in communicator and add users to it. You can up and down the groups. So you can up the frequently-used group to Top.

By default, Communicator sorts contacts in each group in the Contact List first by availability, and then alphabetically. It is very quick to known who is available.

If a user is not in your groups, you can search it and then add it to approriate group that you can find it quickly next time.

Otherwise, if you have to much contacts in your communicator(supposing 75,000 user you have), inputing user name to search is the best and quickest way.

If you want to know more about how to optimize contacts to view, please read the following article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/communicator-help/manage-your-contacts-and-contacts-list-HA101835254.aspx 

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/communicator-help/change-the-way-you-view-contacts-HA010208470.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:36 AM

All replies

• You are probably aware that you can create groups with communicator, you can move the groups up or down in your list. Be aware that for each contact you add your client will subscribe to their status. Your client will be told every time their status changes, every time they go busy, in a meeting, away, offline, on line. Put too many contacts into your client (*75,000 others doing the same) and there could be a lot of fairly useless updating happening.

I would also say that a lot of your communication is in outlook, sharepoint etc. What I mean is if you get an email from someone then it is from outlook that you im them.

Mike

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks

MCITP: Lync, Exchange 2010 & Server Administrator

Designing Lync Blog

View Michael Brophy's profile on LinkedIn

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:03 PM
  • Hi,

You can create groups in communicator and add users to it. You can up and down the groups. So you can up the frequently-used group to Top.

By default, Communicator sorts contacts in each group in the Contact List first by availability, and then alphabetically. It is very quick to known who is available.

If a user is not in your groups, you can search it and then add it to approriate group that you can find it quickly next time.

Otherwise, if you have to much contacts in your communicator(supposing 75,000 user you have), inputing user name to search is the best and quickest way.

If you want to know more about how to optimize contacts to view, please read the following article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/communicator-help/manage-your-contacts-and-contacts-list-HA101835254.aspx 

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/communicator-help/change-the-way-you-view-contacts-HA010208470.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:36 AM